More threads by Retired

Retired

Older People Are Binge Drinkers, Too
Researchers Say Alcohol Use Expected to Increase Among Aging Baby Boomers and Older People

By Bill Hendrick
WebMD Health

Aug. 17, 2009 -- Older people as well as aging baby boomers may be turning to booze and binge drinking, a new study shows.

The study raises significant concerns, researchers say, because doctors often overlook drinking habits, which can be harmful to individual health and public safety.

Duke University scientists, who analyzed data of nearly 11,000 middle-aged and elderly adults from the 2005 and 2006 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, report in the American Journal of Psychiatry that:

• 14% of men and 3% of women 65 or older admit to binge drinking -- defined as quaffing five or more alcoholic beverages on a single occasion within the past 30 days.
  • Among 50-64-year-olds, 23% of men and 9% of women admitted to binge drinking
  • Bingeing and at-risk alcohol use was more common among people 50 to 64 than those in the older group.
  • Among males, binge drinking was associated with higher income, being separated, divorced, or widowed while being unemployed.
  • Among women, non-medical use of prescription drugs was associated with bingeing.
  • Bingeing also was associated among all those studied with the use of tobacco and illicit drugs.
  • Men in both groups are more likely than women to binge drink.

The researchers also point out that previous work has shown that binge drinkers are 14 times more likely to drive while impaired than people who don't binge drink.

Alcohol use and problem drinking are expected to increase among middle-aged and older people in coming years, the researchers say.

"We feel that our findings are important to the public health of middle-aged and elderly persons as they point to a potentially unrecognized problem that often 'flies beneath' the typical screen for alcohol problems in psychiatry practices," Dan G. Blazer, MD, PhD, of Duke University, says in a news release. "Clinicians who work with this age group would be well advised to ask specifically about binge drinking."

Retired

What are the medical and social consequences of binge drinking? The Institute of Alcohol Studies U.K. published a factsheet in 2007 outlining their findings.

The article can be downloaded, read and or printed from the :acrobat: attachment to this post, below.

Attachments

• binge_drinkingmed.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 0

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't know how they do it. I find as I get older I drink less and less... and on occasions when I drink more, I pay for it which reminds me why it's a bad idea...

Banned

Banned
This is actually surprising to me. I guess when I think of binge drinking, I think of college days and young kids. Not of older folks who could be on any number of medications that don't mix with alcohol at the best of times, let alone during a binge drinking episode. Why would they mess with that? :confused:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My dad claimed that drinking was like any other sport; you had to stay in shape.

That used to be one of my jokes when I was younger. If there was a big event coming up, or a vacation, or even a professional convention, I used to tell people it was important to start training for it several weeks in advance. :eek:

Fiver

See? I told you that you and Chuck would have gotten along great. Well, except that he was a bit of a curmudgeon, but then, so am I.

HBas

Hahahaha - Yep, I agree - the older I get, the less I want to drink! Paying does contribute but the hangover I get these days just makes it very hard for me to put my lips to alcahol ... once you started you loose the fear of course!

When we were younger I could party all night and worlk the next day and party again that night ... Now, I have a few drinks (far from even feeling tipsy) and still get a huge hangover for two days! I may have a drink on occation but it's just not worth it for me anymore!

HB

Fiver

When I was in school, I also worked two jobs, played on two softball teams, and still had the stamina to hit the pub after every game.

Youth is wasted on the young.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
IO don't think I was a curmudegeon. I was an anglican when I was a kid. Now I'm a rebel.

"I'm a rebel. There's things about me you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand." ~ Pee Wee Herman in Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Fiver

Do you own big shoes? I'd like to see the dance. No, I would pay you to see you do the Big Shoe Dance.

Me, I don't dance unless I've really been drinking. That's yet one more reason why I rarely drink to excess these days.

Retired

Turtle said:
This is actually surprising to me

In fact most lay media reporting this story today have all stated the conclusions are a surprise to the medical community as well.

The fact that an older person may be binge drinking, their behaviour and diagnostic tests may not indicate their situation during regular check-ups.

However the gradual compromise of liver, the cardiovascular system, other internal organs, not to mention the added propensity to smoke cigarettes and perhaps even to use illicit drugs adds to the overall risk.

Physicians are being advised to be more vigilant in diagnosing this phenomenon among the older population.

A similar problem appears to be ocurring within our military as well, according to This MedpageToday Report where this study found that the prevalence of binge drinking in the U.S. military is about the same as that reported among college students.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.