The impact of reality is far greater than our ability to process it.

We can’t take too much reality ...

(We are) at best able to process crumbs broken off from the whole.

But those crumbs can be rich indeed.

~ Michael Eigen, The Sensitive Self

A ChatGPT-generated summary of the book, written as if ChatGPT was Michael Eigen:

In "The Sensitive Self," I explore the complexities of human sensitivity and its relationship to creativity, spirituality, and mental health. Drawing on my own experiences as a psychoanalyst and my personal journey of self-discovery, I argue that sensitivity is not a weakness, but a source of strength that can help us connect with ourselves and the world around us.

Through essays and case studies, I examine the ways in which sensitivity can manifest in various forms of psychopathology, such as depression, anxiety, and personality disorders. I also explore the role of sensitivity in creative expression, spirituality, and the search for meaning and purpose in life.

My writing is poetic and philosophical, drawing on a range of sources from psychoanalysis, literature, philosophy, and spirituality. I challenge readers to embrace their own sensitivity and to see it as a source of creativity and insight, rather than a weakness to be overcome.

Overall, "The Sensitive Self" is a deeply personal and thought-provoking exploration of the nature of sensitivity and its importance for mental health and personal growth. It is my hope that this book will inspire readers to embrace their own unique sensitivity and to cultivate a deeper understanding of themselves and the world around them.