More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Time to Change

This January, we are launching a groundbreaking campaign across England [including this TV ad] to challenge attitudes and change behaviour around mental health problems.

The impact of prejudice, ignorance and fear around mental health can be devastating for people, families, communities and society. Stigma may prevent people seeking help when they need it. It stops people with ability getting the jobs they are qualified to do. It can stop people building new friendships and mean they lose existing ones. It can mean that everyday activities that you might take for granted, like going to the pub, shops or gym are impossible.

One in four adults experience mental health problems at some point in their lives. 1 in 50 experience more severe mental health problems. Millions of people across England live in the shadow of one of the last great taboos - mental health problems. This is the social justice issue the 21st century.

Our main campaign messages are:

• Mental illness is one of our last taboos
    People affected by mental health problems experience stigma and discrimination. Shame and stigma wrecks lives - it stops people getting help, getting back to work and getting on with life.
  • Mental illness is far more common than you think
    Mental illness can happen to anyone and it's common; 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem at some point.
  • There is something you can do to help
    You can do something. Don't cut someone with mental health problems out of your life - be there for them and don't write them off.
Find out how we developed our campaign and what you can do to help someone you know.

Some people's stories from the website:

Stephen's story
Stephen Fry has experienced mental health problems for much of his life. But it wasn't until he was 37 that he was finally diagnosed with bipolar disorder. "I'd never heard the word before, but for the first time I had a diagnosis that explains the massive highs and miserable lows I've lived with all my life."

During research for his documentary 'The Secret Life of The Manic Depressive', Stephen found out that the illness affects hundreds of thousands of people in the UK. He was also dismayed to discover the extent of prejudice surrounding mental health problems. "I want to speak out, to fight the public stigma and to give a clearer picture of mental illness that most people know little about."

Stephen thinks better public awareness is essential to help people break their silence. "Once the understanding is there, we can all stand up and not be ashamed of ourselves, then it makes the rest of the population realise that we are just like them but with something extra."

Stevie's story (video)
Stevie got a big shock when he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. "People think it means you're going to be violent, and I can understand it in a way, because I didn't have a very positive image of it either. Thing is, for me it couldn’t be further from the truth – I'm a total softy."

It was hard for Stevie to accept his diagnosis and hard for him to tell other people too. "It's a bit like coming out and telling people you are gay," explains Stevie. "Luckily I'm well now. I haven't had a day off work for four years."

Ruby's story (video)
Ruby Wax has experienced episodes of depression for most of her life, but it wasn't until she finally checked into a clinic, that she realised how widespread mental problems are: "It's so common, it could be anyone. The trouble is, nobody wants to talk about it. And that makes everything worse."

Ruby has written about depression and used the topic for her one-woman shows as a way of getting the subject out in the open. "We need to take the stigma out of mental illness. People shouldn't be ashamed of it." Ruby manages her depression through therapy and medication and is optimistic about the future: "It used to be the 'C' word - cancer - that people wouldn't discuss. Now it's the 'M' word. I hope pretty soon it'll be okay for everyone to talk openly about their mental health without fear of being treated differently."

Sue's story (video)
When Sue had cancer her friends and workmates rallied round her. It was their support and love that helped her get through the treatment. But when she told the same friends she had been diagnosed with depression, their support disappeared almost overnight.

This made Sue feel isolated and made her depression worse. Sue's cancer is now in remission and she's made a full recovery from her depression. Like many people who experience mental health problems, Sue thinks it was the fear of the unknown that turned her friends away. As Sue says: "They didn?t know how to deal with it. But it's the small things that can make a big difference, like a phone call, a chat over a cup of tea, or someone simply saying - I'm here for you."

Alastair's story
When Tony Blair asked Alastair Campbell to work for him in 1994, he revealed his mental health problems to the man who would be Prime Minister.

"I said Tony, you know I get depression from time to time? He said, "I'm not worried, if you're not worried." Alastairs's experience at work is in sharp contrast to the majority who experience mental health problems. "I thought, if the Prime Minister can take that attitude, why can't other employers?" But in a recent survey, only four out of ten employers said they would employ someone with a history of mental illness.

Alastair says, "Depression should be properly recognised as an illness and openly talked about, the same way people talk about a broken leg." He credits his own recovery to the support of his family and friends, medical support, and, of course, getting back to work. "I was incredibly lucky," he says. "Others are not so fortunate. Challenging stigma and changing attitudes takes time. But it happens."

Last edited:
i would really like to be more open in daily life about having suffered depression, but something holds me back. i am very glad that people like stephen fry come out about their condition because the public already knows them for who they are before they find out about their struggles. already "knowing" the person and then finding out they've suffered from a condition like bipolar disorder makes it less intimidating, i think.

i recently read that stephen fry's partner in comedy hugh laurie suffers from depression. i think a lot of artists, actors, etc. have a very lively and creative side to them, and with that comes a vulnerability to these illnesses.

i recently read that stephen fry's partner in comedy hugh laurie suffers from depression.

Just last night I watched the latest episode of House, which stars Hugh Laurie, and there was a big advertisement right in the middle of the show telling how we can order House t-shirts to help Hugh Laurie support the NAMI, etc. I know there's a thread on here about it, and I was so excited to actually see the ad on TV!

amastie

I watched the documentary put together about Stephen Fry's life and was *enormously* impressed by it - and by him. He speaks so candidly and so eloquently that there is something joyous in the achievment which has become his life.

Wow!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.