More threads by stanller

stanller

hi

I am on Abilify (15 mg per day) but I feel sleepy, tired during some parts of the day. I feel the need to lie on my bed for a while especially after eating much. Are these normal side effects or is it just something temporary?

I use Abilify since february 2. How long does it take till my body is adapted to it and Abilify will work as it used to?

When I want to stop using it, how should I do it?
I started taking it immediately (not building it up) with 15 mg a day.

I won't see my psych for a month orso so I can't ask him about how to stop it in a proper way.

Thank you.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm not sure you should taper off. You haven't been on Abilify very long and odds are that's not what's causing the sleepiness. In fact, I would suspect that paxil might be a more likely culprit for sleepiness.

I would suggest that you not make any changes until you see your doctor again. If you feel it is really unbearable, at least call his office and ask for his advice.

Similar threads

Abilify is a billion dollar industry and most decent clinicians have known this for years. Leading psychiatrists have spoken on this medication and why it should not be used broadly and without all due considerations. I have read some publications on this medication that were quite controversial. It was often advertised as a magic pill. The power is with the commercial industry.
Replies
Views
The listing of risks or side effects read during a TV commercial for a Rx medication does not provide you with sufficient information to make an informed decision. The regulations governing TV commercial for Rx products require reading a basic "laundry list" of side effects, however the actual prescribing information deliverd to physicians contains statistical information on the incidence of these side effects compared to placebo. This provides your doctor with information about how...
Replies
Views
Abilify (Aripiprazole) By Candida Fink MD January 9, 2009 Like Zyprexa and the other atypical antipsychotics, Abilify (aripiprazole) was developed primarily to treat schizophrenia and psychosis but has been approved to treat acute bipolar mania. Abilify has FDA approval for maintenance treatment of bipolar ? reducing or eliminating recurrence of mood episodes. It does not have an indication for treating bipolar depressive episodes but it is approved for treating mixed episodes. It now...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the information. This is most helpful. There was also mention of interaction with cold and cough meds. Are these the ones based on codeine or pseudoephedrine?
Replies
Views
New option for schizophrenia treatment in Canada Schizophrenia Magazine There’s a new treatment option for Canadians with schizophrenia: Abilify (aripiprazole) is now available in Canada. For those living with this lifelong disease, who may be struggling with a treatment that doesn’t work for them or with side effects that are difficult to tolerate, Abilify offers efficacy, good safety, and tolerability with limited impact on weight, blood sugar, and lipids—significant clinical benefits...
Replies
Views