More threads by Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

I've seen the commercials for Abilify dozens of times and at first, thought the possible side effects weren't worth the risk of taking the med. However, since my antidepressants alone aren't working, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drug?

I am aware that if in the drug trials there is one person who experiences an adverse reaction it must be listed as a possible side effect, but this is one drug that lists "fatal" reactions more than most that I've ever seen.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Adriane

Retired

commercials for Abilify dozens of times and at first, thought the possible side effects weren't worth the risk of taking the med

The listing of risks or side effects read during a TV commercial for a Rx medication does not provide you with sufficient information to make an informed decision.

The regulations governing TV commercial for Rx products require reading a basic "laundry list" of side effects, however the actual prescribing information deliverd to physicians contains statistical information on the incidence of these side effects compared to placebo. This provides your doctor with information about how frequent certain side effects are likely to occur.

In order for medications to be approved and to succeed in the marketplace, they need to undergo rigorous testing, and many side effects occur in less than 10 % of patients. Other side effects diminish with time while others require modifying the dose or method of threatment.

Furthermore, your doctor requires information about your medical history along with a clear diagnosis to determine if a certain product is right for you.

So a decision about a medication cannot be made by reading a list of side effects without understanding what they are, when and if they are likely to occur in a given individual, and if they do, how they can be managed.

A medication is chosen by considering the benefits the medication can provide weighed against potentil risks. Indeed every medical therapeutic decision is based on benefits vs risks.

Your best course of action would be to consult with your doctor, explain that you are experiencing symptoms of your illness and that you would like to explore options to try to alleviate those symptoms. Your doctor can then advise you of the best options for your particular situation.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.