More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
About Post Rape Stress Disorder | EmpowHer - Women's Health Online
Anne Ominous, April 8, 2009

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, also known as PTSD, can occur after any traumatic situation. Many tend to associate the post traumatic syndrome with somebody who has been in a war, and this misconception undermines other forms of trauma. Somebody who has been in a car accident, for example, may also struggle with the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder

It is important not to judge “which situation is worse” because PTSD will stem from the personal experience and the level of stress involved. This article discusses a very particular type of trauma and the varying levels of PTSD that may occur as a result.

What is Post Rape Syndrome?
Post rape syndrome is a very normal, and very human, reaction to an extreme or abnormal situation. Our bodies are capable of handling normal amounts of stress, and some things just do not fall under the category of a normal amount of stress. Post Rape Stress Disorder is the post traumatic stress syndrome that a rape victim will develop.

There is limited information available about post rape stress disorder, because this psychological disorder is generally classifies as a post traumatic stress syndrome. The symptoms are very similar, but there should be more awareness of the specific symptoms that are unique to post rape syndrome.

The Symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
The symptoms of PTSD vary from one individual to the next, as does the severity of the disruption in one’s ability to live a normal life. However, one does not need to experience each of the PTSD symptoms. If you think you might be suffering PTSD, please speak to your doctor for a more specific and accurate assessment.

• Frequently having upsetting thoughts or memories of the experience.
  • Recurring nightmares
  • “Flashbacks” (acting, or feeling, as though the experience is happening again.)
  • Very strong feelings of distress when reminded of the event
  • Strong physical responses when reminded of the event (increased heart rate or sweating, for example.)
  • Making a strong effort to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations about the event
  • Making a strong effort to avoid places, people, or anything that might trigger a reminder of the event
  • Having a difficult time remembering important parts of the traumatic event
  • A loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyable
  • Feeling distant from others; isolating yourself; withdrawn; intense feelings that “nobody understands”
  • Difficulty feeling positive emotions (such as happiness or love)
  • Feeling as though your life may be cut short
  • Sleep problems (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep)
  • Feeling irritable, frequent mood changes, angry outbursts
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling jumpy, constantly on guard, anxious
Source: PTSD Symptoms - Information on PTSD Symptoms

Symptoms that are Unique to Post Rape Syndrome
Because every individual is different, there is no cookie cutter approach taken to assess the possibility of a disorder. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is an anxiety disorder that can severely affect the ability to function normally in life. If you, or somebody you know, is a rape victim… please talk to a doctor about post rape stress disorder.

After a rape, it may take weeks, months, even years for any of the symptoms of post rape stress disorder to become apparent. The natural first reaction to a highly stressful situation is to avoid it by not thinking about it, not talking about it, even pretending it never happened.

It can be very painful to talk about something as traumatic as rape, but the longer a person “buries” those emotions, the deeper they become. When the time comes to ‘deal’ with these emotions, a person may become overwhelmed.

Some victims of post rape syndrome may first act out against these feelings by becoming promiscuous, and this is a very normal behavior for those who aren’t prepared to face their reality yet. Unfortunately this is also a dangerous reaction to take.

Others do not act so extremely. The other side of the scale can be just as painful because a rape victim who has not faced their reality yet is likely to altogether avoid sex. This can be further damaging to relationships, and that is why it’s very important to focus specifically on post rape syndrome instead of generalizing the symptoms.

For example, a victim of rape may “give in” to a partner to satisfy his (or her) sexual needs even though (s)he is not ready yet. This is the worst thing a rape victim can do, but it is very common.

Avoidance is an important part of healing, but the anxiety incurred in post traumatic stress disorder is an unhealthy form of avoidance. A traumatic event will leave one feeling overly vulnerable and helpless, so much so that he or she naturally responds by putting up indestructible walls of protection.

These walls, however, work more as a prison than protection. When an individual is ready to regain control of his or her life, those walls must come down.

What Loved Ones Can Do to Help A Rape Victim With PTSD
If you, or somebody you know, is suffering post rape syndrome then many of the tips for helping somebody with post traumatic stress disorder should be followed. However, specific steps should be taken because post rape syndrome is unique.

• Friends and family should frequently encourage an individual to talk… when (s)he is ready to talk. Do not push him or her to talk before they are ready, but make every effort possible to push them into being ready.
  • Offer support when they do show an interest in talking. While the emotions expressed may be difficult, your reactions are what matter most.
  • Encourage a loved one to seek counseling. Medication may be available to help with anxiety and depression, if appropriate.
  • Be patient. It may take a long time before somebody is ready but your support will encourage the healing process.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I've posted the above-noted article for a few reasons: 1) PTSD is often referenced as lasting upwards of 3 months, 2) the response of family members and/or loved ones cannot be emphasized enough, according to me.

For the past few months, I've felt 'abnormal' because of some of my symptoms. I still have very vivid flashbacks and nightmares - every night (although my rape occurred many months ago now). I have emotional reactions that I don't recognize within the normal sphere of who I am / have been. The bigger symptom being this need to push everyone away - irrespective of how much they mean to me. The reference to PTSD lasting only 3 months is not accurate for me. This is why this articled appealed to me - it recognizes that each person will react to the trauma differently and does not impose a time limit on the traumatic symptoms.

One of the points of the article that also really struck a cord with me is this notion that family members should be patient. Recovery, for me at least, is contingent on the individual. If you're like me, and the victim of a few sexual assaults, the recovery time may be longer. Also, when a rape victim shares his/her experiences, it's imperative that the listener not show any physical reaction to what is being heard: any reaction will shut the speaker up quite quickly. As a rape victim, I'm aware of the nature of the information that I'm sharing. Any reaction to what I'm sharing will incite me to keep it to myself for fear of upsetting the listener.

Be patient - Yes. As a rape victim, I feel guilty every day that I'm not "over it yet". I so want to resume my life as it was beforehand. But, that will never be. At least, not in the lighthearted spirit that it was before. I'm finally appreciating that there will always be moments when I'm brought back to those traumatic moments. In those moments, I space out. On the whole, I'm ok - and I want the people who love me to feel secure in this knowledge but all the while giving me the space and time that I need to figure these things out for myself. :)

Last edited:
I can so relate to what you are saying here, Jazzey. There should be no timetable for recovery - it is as personal as the experience of the trauma itself.

With respect to your comment on not wanting to upset the listener, I think that it goes hand in hand with feelings of guilt and shame. I find that I don't want to upset my therapist - to protect him against hearing about the traumas - as though somehow it is too bad to even share. That's why I don't want anyone to say anything either. But, in truth, I think that there are some really terrible things that happen in life for which there are no words, where silence from a listener is the most meaningful response.

Take care,

TG :support:

Halo

Texasgirl said:
I find that I don't want to upset my therapist - to protect him against hearing about the traumas - as though somehow it is too bad to even share.

Yes TG, this I can absolutely relate to.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I can so relate to what you are saying here, Jazzey. There should be no timetable for recovery - it is as personal as the experience of the trauma itself.

With respect to your comment on not wanting to upset the listener, I think that it goes hand in hand with feelings of guilt and shame. I find that I don't want to upset my therapist - to protect him against hearing about the traumas - as though somehow it is too bad to even share. That's why I don't want anyone to say anything either. But, in truth, I think that there are some really terrible things that happen in life for which there are no words, where silence from a listener is the most meaningful response.

Take care,

TG :support:

Absolutely. I particularly like the lucidity with which you've expressed what I've bolded. For me, there are details which, due to their violence, I can't verbalize to anyone. I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to share those. And having given it a lot of thought, there are 2 reasons for my mutism: 1) verbalizing it may make it real (it's still a nightmare for me but not real) and 2) I don't think I can manage to see people's reactions to it...

Thank you TG.:) :support:

I'm just curious, and you can tell me to bug off if you want, but under what circumstances (other than therapy) would you feel compelled or obligated to tell someone about your assault experiences?

I just can't see myself ever doing this with anyone other than in therapy and I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. :hug:

Jazzey

Account Closed
:) I would never tell you to bug off.

In the past few months, in my group of closest friends many of them have asked for details...Also, when I was getting examined shortly after the rape, the doctor asked me for details (limited of course) to be better able to treat me physically. Although I really like my doctor, I did not reveal everything to him. More because at that time, I just couldn't.

As for my friends - I know that they love me. Sometimes, people think that if you talk about it, you'll feel better. For me, right now at least, talking about it in more than superfluous terms triggers me.

But you're absolutely right. I can't imagine revisiting those details with anyone but my therapist if that need arises.

Shortly after the rape, I documented everything in a book. I did this because nothing seemed real at the time. Writing was my way to solidify that the whole thing had actually happened. Also, I was afraid of forgetting details. While I went back and re-read it on my anniversary, for some reason, I now can't even go near the cabinet where this book is kept.

The other day, I was wondering if I shouldn't just hand over the book to my therapist thinking it may give her insight into some of my thinking at the time of the whole thing. But I start having a panic attack every time I start even thinking about giving her the book. I'm not sure that I can share those intimate thoughts and let her know the level of it all. But, I haven't figure out why I'm thinking this way yet.

And eventually, my general doctor will see that I've omitted certain things from him. At that time, this will be another conversation I'll have to have. And then I'll have to explain why it is that I didn't kick this person out of my home after the first incidence of violence.

Thanks Cat Dancer. I know I'm making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

Jazzey I found this website that a short video which helps explain to people about PTSD. I haven't seen the video yet but thought you or others might want to look at it.

Hope for Recovery
For the General Public, Veterans and Professionals

Run time: 9:30 min

Hope for RecoveryA video describing PTSD, produced by the PTSD Alliance, a group of professional and advocacy organizations that have joined forces to provide educational resources to individuals diagnosed with PTSD and their loved ones; those at risk for developing PTSD; and medical, healthcare and other frontline professionals.

Please Note: Involves dramatizations of individuals briefly describing interpersonal traumas, which may be upsetting for some individuals.

Hope for Recovery - For the General Public, Veterans and Professionals - (National Center for PTSD)

Jazzey I watched the video and it helps me understand PTSD better. My friend has PTSD from things that happened to him as he was growing up and something that happened to him 2 years ago. Also what you are going through is pure hel*
In the video they mentioned how it affect somebodies eating habits sleeping habits and also they can't get the thoughts out of their mind.

That is what I am going through right now. My friend asked me if I would be ready to go back to work. I said no because I haven't really dealt with the issues that made me go on sick leave.
Now I don't see my Psychiatrist till May 12th. By then I might be back to work so that I don't lose my benefit plan but I won't be really ready.

My Psychoanalyst said to me recently you must be feeling better now that I am off. But I am not really because I haven't really resolved the issues and also learn how to face them when I go back to work.

My last day of work that night at home I was right on the edge. Didn't care about anything or anyone just wanted the nightmare to be over with. But I haven't really dealt with the living nightmare yet. So I am afraid to go back to work because I don't know how I will deal with things if I get in the same mode I was in on my last day of work. I don't want to do anything stupid but when I got into such a state almost like a manic state I realized I wasn't thinking clearly(wasn't sane) and I am not sure what would have happen if I didn't have my friend to talk to.
I have a mild stage of PTSD compare to what you and my friend have but it is still hel*l. The years of emotional abuse at work the bullying and harassment I can't take anymore of it.

Sue

Jazzey

Account Closed
I hope that you'll be able to work through your issues before you have to return to work Sue. :support:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Rape-Related Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Published 2009

• In 2006, victims age 12 or older experienced 272,350 rapes or sexual assaults. (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2008).
  • 89% of rape or sexual assault victims in 2006 were female with 31% assaulted by strangers; 44% were friends or acquaintances of their victims, and 21% were intimate partners. (Ibid).
  • American Indian and Alaskan Native women are almost three times as likely to experience rape or sexual assault as white, African American, or Asian American women. (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2008).
  • Nearly one-third of all rape victims develop Rape-related Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (RR-PTSD) sometime during their lifetimes, and more than eleven percent still suffers from it (National Center for Victims of Crime & Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center, 1992).
Overview
Traumatic events such as rape cause both short-term and long-term stress reactions. Many people who experience long-term stress reactions continue to function at optimal levels. Those who are unable to function at a normal range or have difficulties in one or more areas may have Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This bulletin discusses Rape-related Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (RR-PTSD), a form of PTSD suffered by sexual assault and rape victims. For more information on PTSD, please refer to the bulletin Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.

The four major symptoms of Rape-related Posttraumatic Stress Disorder are:

Re-experiencing the trauma
Rape victims may experience uncontrollable intrusive thoughts about the rape, essentially unable to stop remembering the incident. Many rape victims have realistic nightmares and dreams about the actual rape. In addition, victims may relive the event through flashbacks, during which victims experience the traumatic event as if it was happening now. Additionally, victims are distressed by any event that symbolizes the trauma of rape. Victims avoid talking about the
event and will avoid any stimuli or situations which remind them of the rape.

Social withdrawal
The second major RR-PTSD symptom for rape survivors is social withdrawal. It has been described as psychic numbing, denial and a feeling of being emotionally dead. They do not experience feelings of any kind. One way it shows up in the lives of survivors is a diminished interest in living. It is not that they are suicidal, but they have no interest in their children, in their jobs, and what feelings they do experience have a very narrow range. Victims experiencing RR-PTSD may not feel joy, pain, or really much of anything; many experience a kind of amnesia. In addition, victims with RR-PTSD may not remember the details of what happened to them.

Avoidance behaviors and actions
The third set of symptoms of RR-PTSD are avoidance behaviors and actions. Victims may experience a general tendency to avoid any thoughts, feelings, or cues which could bring up the catastrophic and most traumatizing elements of the rape. This may be characterized by refusing to drive near the spot where the rape occurred.

Increased physiological arousal characteristics
There may be an exaggerated startle response -- hyper-alertness and hyper-vigilance -- which requires that the victim pay attention to every sound and sight in their environment. Many experience sleep disorders which result in poor sleep patterns for chronic RR-PTSD victims, such as trouble falling or staying asleep. In addition, memory may be impaired, and many victims have difficulties concentrating, which affects tasks that must be completed in their daily lives. Victims may exhibit a kind of irritability, hostility, rage and anger that produce further isolation.

Some disturbing new research indicates that certain physiological changes in the brain may be permanent conditions. Some survivors with RR-PTSD are unable to accurately gauge the passage of time. Consequently, they are likely to show up for appointments late, early, or not at all. Another possible permanent side effect is a kind of tunnel vision. Victims may be unable to see the "big picture" which results in difficulty distinguishing between a little crisis and a big crisis. Therefore, all events in their lives are viewed as crises.

In Rape in America: A Report to the Nation, a widely-cited study by the National Center for Victims of Crime and the Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center, 13 percent of American women surveyed had been raped and 31 percent of theses rape victims developed RR-PTSD. The study showed that with 683,000 women raped each year in this country, approximately 211,000 will develop RR-PTSD each year. In their attempts to cope with RR-PTSD symptoms, many victims may develop major depression. Rape victims are three times more likely than non-victims of crime to have a major depression episode. Rape victims are 4.1 times more likely than non-crime victims to contemplate suicide. In fact, 13 percent of all rape victims actually attempt suicide, which confirms the devastating and potentially life threatening mental health impact of rape.

In attempting to cope with the above symptoms, drug and alcohol consumption are likely to be companions in the victim's attempt to gain relief from these symptoms. RIA found that, compared to non-victims of crime, rape victims are:

• 13.4 times more likely to have two or more major alcohol problems; and
  • Twenty-six times more likely to have two or more major serious drug abuse problems.
With a growing body of knowledge about RR-PTSD, help is available through most rape crisis and trauma centers. Support groups have been established where survivors can meet regularly to share experiences to help relieve the symptoms of RR-PTSD. For some survivors, medication prescribed along with therapy is the best combination to relieve the pain. Just as in the treatment of any other illness, at the first opportunity, the individual should be encouraged to talk about the traumatic experience. This ventilating provides a chance to receive needed support and comforting as well as an opportunity to begin to make sense of the experience (Allen). "To diminish symptoms of PTSD, you must work on two fronts- coming to terms with the past and alleviating stress in the present (Allen)." In addition, violence-related trauma affects not only direct victims, but those who care deeply about them.

Works Cited
National Center for Victims of Crime & Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center. (1992). Rape in American: A Report to the Nation. Arlington, VA: National Center for Victims of Crime.

Ringel, Cheryl. (1997). Criminal Victimization. Washington, DC: Bureau of Justice Statistics, US Department of Justice.

Bibliography
Allen, Jon. (1995). Coping with Trauma: A Guide to Self-Understanding. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.

Figley, Charles R. (1992). Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, Part 1. Violence Update, 2(7): 1, p.8-9.

Harvey, Mary & Judith Herman. (1992). The Trauma of Sexual Victimization: Feminist Contributions to Theory, Research, and Practice. PTSD Research Quarterly, 3(3): 1-3.

Additional information
National Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Cannon Street, MSC852
Charleston, SC 29425-0742
Administrative Phone: (843) 792-2945
Clinic Phone: (843) 792-8209

Center for Women's Policy Studies
1776 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, #450
Washington, D.C. 20036
Phone: (202) 872-1770

RAINN
Rape Abuse & Incest National Network
24 Hour hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE
E-mail: info@rainn.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.