More threads by sentinel

sentinel

I'm going to have my first EMDR session in a few weeks. I've already tried CBT (9 months of sessions about 7 years ago) and psychodynamic counselling (off and on for about 3 years). I am vastly improved, my life is so much better.

However I still react unconciously, sometimes to very innocuous situations, in ways that reflect my past experiences and that are not really relevant to the present. CBT is all very well if I can see things coming, but sometimes I find that this creeps up on me over hours or even days, and I'm well on my way to getting really very anxious before I even realise it. I don't want to live my life being randomly miserable any more.

So, I've decided to try EMDR. Afer a fair bit of looking I have found a therapist within half hour's drive from work and have an introductory session booked.

I have a few worries though.

Firstly, although I can remember a few specific violent events very clearly, a lot of my childhood experiences run together (I was physically abused between age 2 and about 12/13), and to be honest, the bits where I wasn't being hit were in many ways much worse, much more impactive on my life as an adult - the chronic fear that underlied every waking moment, and the need to be on constant watch, whilst appearing to be calm and comfortable. Without specific scenes to play out, how effective will the therapy be?

Secondly, I am going to have to have to disclose all of this upfront in person. With CBT I didn't really have to do that, and with the psychodynamic, I had already written on the forms what my history was and there was no pressure to lay it all out on the plate the first time I met the therapist. I spent my whole childhood trying to make sure everything stayed secret, and I am very anxious about having to be so upfront, even though I want to be. Even telling the therapist the barest of details on the phone made me break out into a sweat. Obviously this is something that I can work on in the EMDR but that's not going to happen until after I do this.

Lastly I am only going to be able to do monthly sessions due to the cost, the distance and the fact I need to take at least a half day off work each time. The therapist has offered me longer sessions (1.5 hour). Am I right in thinking I'm probably not going to be up to going back to work after a session? Will monthly be OK?

Banned

Banned
Hi sentinel,

Welcome to Psychlinks.

I've never tried EMDR, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help in answering your questions. I've heard different things from different people about it, and I suppose like many things - it works for some and not for others.

I do hope you'll share your experience with us after though, in whatever way you're comfortable, because I think others might benefit as well from hearing about it.

And - I'm sure someone will chime in at some point to share their experience with it with you.

*chime*...
I'm here to offer my input!

I've done EMDR a number of times - I won't lie to you, it's not the easiest thing I've ever done. But the benefits speak volumes. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the outcome.

You don't need to disclose all your information before the EMDR (however it can be helpful)
It can be tricky if your therapist doesn't know the whole story, because then if you have trouble shifting a scene, or moving past something, they won't really be able to help you as much.

What I did in my EMDR was pretend I was watching a movie of (the event) happening, and I could fast forward, slow down, skip parts etc etc. Sometimes...the really emotional parts are hard to fast forward because your mind sort of fixates on them, but you just have to try to shift to something more postive. And remember, you can change the movie at anytime.
So, for me, I was really trapped on the worst part of my experience, and after a while I decided to imagine something really good happening, for me it was someone coming and getting me out of the bad situation I was in. That really helped move the movie along without me getting trapped in a bad mental space.

It's hard to explain this over the internet really...but honestly, I'm so glad you are willing to give it a try. You've just really got to focus on it and let it help you, allow yourself to be fully focused, don't worry if you cry or panic or anything like that, it's all about you and making you better :)

Good luck!! Hope it works out!
And as for working after...it really depends, a few of my sessions I had to work after and it wasn't too bad, if you leave the EMDR in a good place (which is the objective) then most of the time you will leave feeling better than when you started!
I think monthly is ok too! Just make sure if you're having trouble shifting parts/images to let your therapist know so he/she can help you shift before your session ends. :D

sentinel

Thanks for your replies. I do intend to try to give the therapist as full account as possible. I just think it will be hard going to do so.

I'm quite introverted and seem to have spent a lot of my childhood on autopilot, so a lot of it is a blur. I'm not sure if that makes any sense - sort of hyper aware but at the same time not really conciously taking it in. I'm a fantastic long distance driver as an adult as I can relax into this same state, where I can almost see panoramic and take it all in at once rather than having to stay tightly focussed on the road like my husband. I don't find driving at all tiring.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

to continue the last post, this does mean that a lot of stuff is blurred in my memory, so I do hope that EMDR would still work

I think it will work well for you.

Since you find driving easy for you, you can pretend the images are showing up alongside the road, like a drive by movie, rather than picturing a theatre etc.

Your therapist will ask you to focus on a really specific image, you'll have to try really hard to pull it up in as much mental detail as you can, almost as if that moment, BUT it's not you in the moment, you'll be "watching" it happen in a movie or something, and you can change any part of it, make it better, skip parts, erase parts, etc etc.

Be brave :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.