More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There are three ways to access the Psychlinks Forum on the smaller screens of mobile devices (i.e., tablets and smart phones).

First, the vBulletin software that drives Psychlinks includes a mobile style and the ability to detect mobile operating systems and automatically switch to the mobile style. To do that, simply load Psychlinks Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum in your mobile browser and you should be automatically viewing the mobile style. There are some limitations to this style, however, including simplified controls and options for Private Messages, images, and signatures.

Second, you can use an app called Forum Runner which you download from the app store for your specific device (e.g., Apple Store for iPhone). The cost for this is about $1.99 USD I believe. I prefer this for the better navigation controls and improved features for posting, reading, and replying to threads, as well as responding to PMs, etc. More information about the iPhone/iPad version of Forum Runner is available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forum-runner-vbulletin-phpbb/id362527234?mt=8

Third, you can use an app called Tapatalk, also available for a variety of mobile devices and operating systems. I believe the price currently is about $2.99 USD. I find this a bit more complicated to use but it does have more features than the other two options. More information about the iPhone/iPad version is available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-forum-app/id307880732?mt=8

Note: The Tapatalk app is now a free download. Go to http://tapatalk.com/m to download Tapatalk for your mobile device.

Forum Runner and Tapatalk can also be used to access other forums that are enabled for these apps. Both provide a directory of forums that are available on different topics.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I obviously have no idea what devices and browsers others are using, but I've had a few difficulties using and displaying Psychlinks on my mobile devices (previously LG Eve, now Samsung Galaxy S.) In case it helps anyone, my simplest solution so far has been browsing with Opera Mini (free) which has a lot of useful options for the way you want text to display. Then I switch the forum to Full Site mode and it works pretty well that way.

Retired

I'll be looking forward to trying Forum Runner once I receive my new tablet in the next day or so. A test tablet (Galaxy 7) i was using for a few days really had to display Psychlinks in full view rather than the mobile style, because of the lack of navigation controls.

I hope Forum Runner provides better navigation....but in the end, there's nothing wrong with viewing the Forum in full view.

Once I get it all set up, I'll post some screen shots.

Perhaps others with other devices and views might also post some screen shots so we can compare.

Retired

I downloaded and installed Tapatalk from Google Play, although I also had the choice to get it from Amazon. Tapatalk lists hundreds of forums that are set up for it, which is how I got the link to Psychlinks.

The interface is a bit clunky, and is not entirely intuitive, but I've managed to produce this response.

I still don't see the advantage of using an Android app to access a forum like Psychlinks on my Asus tablet, but I suspect it might be useful on a smaller device that might have difficult supporting the desktop interface.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.