More threads by Retired

Retired

A recent report in the Journal of The American Medical Association reported on a hospital in Boston where an unfortunate series of events and miscues resulted in a stillbirth a while back.

The hospital administration took a pro active approach to correct various internal problems to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future.

One of the strategies the hospital used was to hire airline pilots to teach hospital staff about teamwork and conflict resolution.

What techniques do airline pilots know about to improve teamwork and to resolve conflict that might be of benefit to us?

Retired

A recent report in the Journal of The American Medical Association reported on a hospital in Boston where an unfortunate series of events and miscues resulted in a stillbirth a while back.

The hospital administration took a pro active approach to correct various internal problems to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future.

One of the strategies the hospital used was to hire airline pilots to teach hospital staff about teamwork and conflict resolution.

What techniques do airline pilots know about to improve teamwork and to resolve conflict that might be of benefit to us?

Banned

Banned
Ha! Lots! I work for an airline, and let me tell you - it is NEVER a one-man show. If people can't work together, compromise, help each other out...planes don't fly. Well, they do...but a real lack of teamwork can have nasty consequences. In my company, there's no such thing as "It isn't my job" or "I'm not budging". We all work together for each other's benefit. It's an amazing environment.

Banned

Banned
Ha! Lots! I work for an airline, and let me tell you - it is NEVER a one-man show. If people can't work together, compromise, help each other out...planes don't fly. Well, they do...but a real lack of teamwork can have nasty consequences. In my company, there's no such thing as "It isn't my job" or "I'm not budging". We all work together for each other's benefit. It's an amazing environment.

ThatLady

One correlation I see between a hospital setting and piloting an airline is that both take on responsibility for peoples' lives. That can result in tremendous stress and, often, feelings of self-doubt. Those factors can add to workplace disagreements and failures in conflict resolution and teamwork. The approach this hospital took is really quite interesting.

ThatLady

One correlation I see between a hospital setting and piloting an airline is that both take on responsibility for peoples' lives. That can result in tremendous stress and, often, feelings of self-doubt. Those factors can add to workplace disagreements and failures in conflict resolution and teamwork. The approach this hospital took is really quite interesting.

Retired

I can see where the stress might be greater because peoples' lives are at stake. OTOH I can also see where an atmosphere of complacency can occur when people become tired or have been performing the same task for a long time.

What keeps people sharp, and alert and motivated to work together? There are disagreements in the best of families, so what's their secret?

Retired

I can see where the stress might be greater because peoples' lives are at stake. OTOH I can also see where an atmosphere of complacency can occur when people become tired or have been performing the same task for a long time.

What keeps people sharp, and alert and motivated to work together? There are disagreements in the best of families, so what's their secret?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.