More threads by girlX

girlX

I'm new to the group...and would first like to say thank you for letting me be apart....I have two questions actually ..the first one being..my boyfriend is on Celexa....I would not consider him to be an alcoholic...but he drinks occasionally on the weekends...I worry about him(alot) being on the Celexa and drinking alcohol...I've looked around abunch on the internet to find out if it's harmful to him...but can't seem to get the info ..that would put my mind more at ease....My next question is that his Dr is switching him to Remeron..I'm wondering if it's okay for him to start taking it now..or should he wait and go off the Celexa for awhile first .....Thank you....~girlX~

girlX

I'm new to the group...and would first like to say thank you for letting me be apart....I have two questions actually ..the first one being..my boyfriend is on Celexa....I would not consider him to be an alcoholic...but he drinks occasionally on the weekends...I worry about him(alot) being on the Celexa and drinking alcohol...I've looked around abunch on the internet to find out if it's harmful to him...but can't seem to get the info ..that would put my mind more at ease....My next question is that his Dr is switching him to Remeron..I'm wondering if it's okay for him to start taking it now..or should he wait and go off the Celexa for awhile first .....Thank you....~girlX~

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Medications like Celexa can increase the effects of alcohol and, depending on the frequency and amount of alcohol intake, alcohol may also reduce the effectiveness of the medication. However, that said, if your boyfriend drinks only occasionally and not excessive amounts when he does drink, it's probably not critical.

His doctor is the best person to advise him about how he wants him to make the switch to Remeron. Because it is a somewhat different medication, the doctor may advise him to taper off or discontinue the Celexa first (depending on the dosage) before beginning Remeron.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Medications like Celexa can increase the effects of alcohol and, depending on the frequency and amount of alcohol intake, alcohol may also reduce the effectiveness of the medication. However, that said, if your boyfriend drinks only occasionally and not excessive amounts when he does drink, it's probably not critical.

His doctor is the best person to advise him about how he wants him to make the switch to Remeron. Because it is a somewhat different medication, the doctor may advise him to taper off or discontinue the Celexa first (depending on the dosage) before beginning Remeron.

girlX

Thank you again David for your advice...It seems i'm kind of a worry wort about my boyfriend...but i don't have any contact with his Dr..in being able to find out this type of information...and b/f is not as concerned as i am..He has a more nonchalant approach...where as.. i like to make a more informed decision

girlX

Thank you again David for your advice...It seems i'm kind of a worry wort about my boyfriend...but i don't have any contact with his Dr..in being able to find out this type of information...and b/f is not as concerned as i am..He has a more nonchalant approach...where as.. i like to make a more informed decision

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.