More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
I've recently started attending meetings. I wanted to share a little of what to expect from the meetings without breaching the AA confidentiality.

First off, here's the site:

Alcoholics Anonymous

On the site, you can download what they call the "Big Book". A bit of forewarning, I've been told not to attempt to interpret the "Big Book" without a sponsor to guide me through the precepts.

So far with AA - I've found a fountain of compassion. Just genuinely good people who genuinely want to support newer members. Some of the tips that I've received so far?

1) get phone numbers right after attending the first meeting; and,
2) really try to do 90 meetings in 90 days.

The 90 meetings in 90 days is a little daunting for me - and I haven't even attempted it so far. But, I continue to attend, and for now at least, I just listen to what others have experienced.

So far - nothing but positives on the program. :2thumbs:

Andy

MVP
That is great Jazzey.
I grew up surrounded by AA and have gone to meetings since I was young (no babysitter).
I agree that there are usually many caring people there, and I am sure they will help you along just fine.
I imagine the 90 meetings can seem overwhelming. Have you got yourself a sponsor yet? Or are you still checking things out? I think it's great that your going when you can now, and i hope you continue to find it supportive. I am sure you will make many a friend for life there. :goodjob:

I can't think right now, but this is awesome Jazzey! :friends:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thank you, STP. :) :hug: I've only gone to a few meetings so far. I'm not the 90 meetings in 90 days gal...I understand the idea behind it but, my schedule just doesn't lend itself to it (work in particular). :)

Addendum: No, I didn't share phone numbers with people. I just find it too difficult right now. But, I'm still listening - It just is a little too much for me right now. There are reasons for that, but I can't explain without breaching the confidentiality of AA...

That is great news Jazzey I hope you can start feeling more comfortable there. I think all the support you can get is great. take care.

Andy

MVP
Gotcha. ;) I don't blame you, I wouldn't be able to do the 90 in 90 either. I think it's helpful for people who are struggling with, well it can be helpful for anyone but in my opinion it's helpful for people in need of daily support. Not that I'm saying your not in need of daily support...bagh, I'm sure you know what I mean, yes?

Anyway,it's still great and you'll get right into the program when you have gone a little more and your ready.:goodjob:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.