More threads by Ashley-Kate

hello,
latly i have been under a lot of presure and stress all threw a treatment i am undergoing for other issues and well it seems tht the more the other stuff is under control the more i seem to increase other difficulties and habits such as S-I I used to controle it very well to think that i was down to like 3 months without doing anything now i am back to square one i cut every day it<s like i need it to feel something to feel a bit alive cause without that i feel numb i feel nothing and it is a feeling that is really hard to cope with i want to stop this but i can<t it is controling me as if i am addicted to pain ...as if i need t ia m at a loss in all of this i just don<t know how to stop anymore. please if anybody can help
yours trully
ashley-kate

hello,
latly i have been under a lot of presure and stress all threw a treatment i am undergoing for other issues and well it seems tht the more the other stuff is under control the more i seem to increase other difficulties and habits such as S-I I used to controle it very well to think that i was down to like 3 months without doing anything now i am back to square one i cut every day it<s like i need it to feel something to feel a bit alive cause without that i feel numb i feel nothing and it is a feeling that is really hard to cope with i want to stop this but i can<t it is controling me as if i am addicted to pain ...as if i need t ia m at a loss in all of this i just don<t know how to stop anymore. please if anybody can help
yours trully
ashley-kate

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Progress in therapy is rarely a straight line, Ashley. It's more like a series of hills and valleys, two steps forward and one or two steps back before you go forward again.

You may feel like you are back to square one but really you're not.

How many years did it take you to learn your old coping strategies? You won't unlearn them and find new coping strategies in a few days or weeks -- it takes time and practice.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Progress in therapy is rarely a straight line, Ashley. It's more like a series of hills and valleys, two steps forward and one or two steps back before you go forward again.

You may feel like you are back to square one but really you're not.

How many years did it take you to learn your old coping strategies? You won't unlearn them and find new coping strategies in a few days or weeks -- it takes time and practice.

Eunoia

I think that if you're faced with dealing with a certain issue or making a change that seems very frightening to you you will unconsciously or consciously rely back on familar coping mechanism... so si is a familar way to cope, hence, why you're using it to cope w/ other issues you're facing. It's a way of trying to deal, maybe resist, or just handle what's going on. It's scary- that's for sure. But don't ever let these setbacks put you down. B/c you've made it this far and you've fought so hard, you can get up again... there will always be ups and downs and I think knowing that or almost expecting them (in a realistic way) will help you deal w/ them when they come along.

as David said, it takes time and effort to "unlearn" old coping mechanisms. do whatever you can to tackle this one too, w/ the help of your therapist... they can help you dealing w/ the stress, pressure, change and help you find other and better coping mechanisms...

Eunoia

I think that if you're faced with dealing with a certain issue or making a change that seems very frightening to you you will unconsciously or consciously rely back on familar coping mechanism... so si is a familar way to cope, hence, why you're using it to cope w/ other issues you're facing. It's a way of trying to deal, maybe resist, or just handle what's going on. It's scary- that's for sure. But don't ever let these setbacks put you down. B/c you've made it this far and you've fought so hard, you can get up again... there will always be ups and downs and I think knowing that or almost expecting them (in a realistic way) will help you deal w/ them when they come along.

as David said, it takes time and effort to "unlearn" old coping mechanisms. do whatever you can to tackle this one too, w/ the help of your therapist... they can help you dealing w/ the stress, pressure, change and help you find other and better coping mechanisms...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.