More threads by myjade84

myjade84

I stopped taking meds for my Bipolar disorder last month because they gave me severe headaches. I am looking now for the alternative ways to lessen my symptoms. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Could your doctor help you with the headaches or you could try treating them ? I only suggest that as I looked for years for non medication solutions to my issues and I tried exercise, diet, massage, therapy, herbal supplants, yoga, hypnosis, mindfulness, following a strict schedule. Some of that helped but honestly the best combo seems to be medication and therapy and some of the others. The herbal remedies were all useful for me.

myjade84

Thank you for your reply. I am thinking of creating a diet that i can easily adjust with. I also want to try acupuncture and yoga. I am interested on them before but never tried it.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Sorry I meant to say the herbal remedies were not useful. They didn't work at all and were a waste of money. Herbs for sleep might work from what I hear. I never had any luck with St. John's wort or inositol or any of the other herbs that they say can aid mental health issues. Medication and therapy are likey the way to go

Retired

I stopped taking meds for my Bipolar disorder last month because they gave me severe headaches.

Stopping to take prescribed medication because of side effects is never a good idea, unless the discontinuation is supervised by your doctor.

Side effects can usually be controlled or at least mitigated until your body becomes accustomed to the new chemical balance that is necessary to treat the illness.

Other methods of dealing with side effects your doctor might provide could be modifying the dose, or the dosage regimen, even changing to another medication you might tolerate better.

Your best advice would be to return to your doctor, explain the difficulty you experienced and ask about your options....from your doctor.

Searching for so-called alternative therapies can be expensive, non productive and frustrating with no real relief of your symptoms.

Your doctor should be able to provide you with more effective options.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I stopped taking meds for my Bipolar disorder last month because they gave me severe headaches. I am looking now for the alternative ways to lessen my symptoms. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

The only viable suggestion we can offer is talk to your doctors about other prescription medications for bipolar disorder. There are many options these days.

I am thinking of creating a diet that i can easily adjust with. I also want to try acupuncture and yoga. I am interested on them before but never tried it.

None of those will manage the symptoms of bipolar disorder.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.