More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Anorexia may represent an addiction
Wed Oct 3, 2007
By Megan Rauscher

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Scientists from France have found that anorexia and the highly addicting club-drug ecstasy activate some of the same brain pathways, a finding that may help explain the addictive nature of anorexia and other eating disorders and lead to new treatments.

In a paper published this week, Dr. Valerie Compan of Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Montpellier, and colleagues report that both anorexia and ecstasy reduce the drive to eat by stimulating the same subset of receptors for the neurotransmitter serotonin.

These so-called 5-HT4 receptors are located in a brain structure associated with feelings of reward called the nucleus accumbens.

In mice, Compan and colleagues stimulated these receptors, which are known to play a role in addictive behavior, and found that this led to anorexic-like behavior -- food-fed mice ate less and food-deprived mice showed a reduced drive to eat.

Stimulating these receptors in mice also boosted production of the same enzymes stimulated in response to cocaine and amphetamine use.

Blocking the receptors increased food intake in the animals and mice missing these receptors were less sensitive to the appetite-suppressant effects of ecstasy.

"Our data may converge to open the possibility that anorexia can be a reward-relating problem involving neuronal mechanisms," Compan told Reuters Health.

This research, she added, may have implications for the development of drug treatments for eating disorders. "Our studies over seven years now open the possibility that 5-HT4 receptor could represent an important therapeutic target to treat patients suffering from these disorders," Compan said

SOURCE: PNAS Early Edition, October 1, 2007.

Similar threads

Life After Anorexia by Robert T. Muller, The Trauma & Mental Health Report August 16, 2017 University student Catherine Pawley describes her struggle with overcoming Anorexia Nervosa in this compelling TEDX Talk. She opens up about the challenges she faced, her specialized treatment at an Eating Disorders Unit, and her road to recovery. She attempts to not only help, but inspire others in their journeys and struggles by illustrating that "life is too short to weigh your cornflakes".
Replies
Views
The Neurobiology Of Anorexia Nervosa by Sara Adaes, PhD January 21, 2016 Eating disorders are a serious problem. In the US alone, it is estimated that up to 30 million people suffer from an eating disorder, including anorexia, bulimia or binge eating. Although it can affect people of all ages, genders, and ethnicities, the incidence is highest among adolescent girls and young adult women. And even though eating disorders have the...
Replies
Views
Anorexia, Anxiety and Letting Go Sarah Illingworth October/02/2014 I let anorexia rule my world for about eight years. For me, it ended up being more about anxiety, and a way of dealing with it, than anything else, and it's been amazing to not have either dictate my behavior for a while now. I think many of us struggle with similar things, so I wrote this in case it's of help to those who do. And hopefully to shed a little light on eating and anxiety disorders for those who don't have a...
Replies
Views
Wow. Those fashion dimensions are CRAZY and it infuriates me. :( I don't see much support online for men with eating disorders. I am glad the young man in this story was able to get help. It absolutely breaks my heart when I hear of anyone suffering with an eating disorder. It's so insidious.
Replies
Views
Deep Brain Stimulation Offers Hope for Severest Anorexia by Caroline Cassels, Medscape March 6, 2013 For the first time, deep brain stimulation (DBS) has been used to treat patients with severe, treatment-refractory anorexia nervosa (AN), with promising results. The primary aim of the pilot study was to test the safety of DBS in this patient population. However, among the 6 patients included in the study, one half showed improvement in mood and body mass index (BMI) over baseline...
Replies
Views