More threads by Kanadiana

Kanadiana

Well, I was trying to find this thread for a long time to post a wondeerful update on my ex.

He has been sober now for pushing a month now, after entering a recovery place and program after passing out (fainting - malnutrition and alcohol) a couple of times which resulted in overnight visits to hospital ;) which scared the crap out of him. I've been helping run his website and other necessary things while he's been in the treatment place.

I'm thrilled to say that he's seeming quite hooked by sobriety and feeling like his old self, who he hasn't "felt" in many many years and that he's strongly decided about this being a "quit forever" trend.

For myself, it's amazing to talk to a 'sober" ex, as I've never known him "sober" ... nor has he known me as his sober-self ;) This is just one month of sobriety, but thank god for the program he's in because it's excellent and prepares him for when he's home again, facing his life, sober. He's eating and gaining back some weight (was severely underweight and malnourished by now :( )

Will wonders never cease ... there are a lot of happy people, right now, who care about him and have tried, all in our own ways, to nudge and push him closer to this "sobriety" for a long time. He really could NOT have survived much more in the condition he was in, so I say, thank god for the health crisis that forced this to happen, finally. And thank god that he loves "waking up to himself again" and that only sobriety is giving him his self and his life back, therefore he wants this for himself, not for someone else, so its more likely to stick. ;)

Yes. Excellent news here ;)

K.

kanadiana that is such good news! if he wants this for himself and not for others then he'll be working at this. i am happy for you and him :)

ThatLady

That's great news, Kanadiana. It's always a good feeling to see a friend find their way to the right path. It can be very sad, and frustrating, to watch them waste their lives on alcohol or drugs. If, and when, they finally come to an epiphany, it can make all the difference in the world, not only for them but for everyone who cares for them.

Kanadiana

Hi Baseballcap and Thatlady :)

You both have that right :)

In re-reading my post I think I said my ex has been sober for pushing a month, when actually the program runs one month (but I think the process with this center stays connected with him (whoever) for one year, and he's been sober (since going there) about 3 or so weeks now. It's awesome to talk to him sober. I really had no idea the extent of his drinking before moving in with him. I've never met anyone who drank like he did, from wake up to go to sleep. EVER!

He called me again today and is very strong and decisive that he'll never drink again ... and I know the strength of his will when he doesn't want to be deterred LOL ... he can do it if he carries on :) It all sounds and looks really good right now, but this is so very early in sobriety and he hasn't gone home to "tests" yet. I keep my fingers crossed.

K.

Halo

That is awesome news Kanadiana.... I will also keep my fingers crossed that he continues on the road to sobriety and to self discovery.

:D

Kanadiana

Thanks NSA and Nancy ;)

It's pretty interesting talking to him "sober". And kinda funny too, as I think, "Well Darlin', your booze-brain picked me, now I wonder what your sober brain will think of me as you get to know me and really start to "see me" for the first time (and visa versa :D ) "

Well ... it's not really "funny" for the most part since his "booze brain" ;ut me and my life through for quite a while, but it does have it's humorous slant for me at times when I consider things :D Believe me, I'm struggling now and then with resentments and hurt. Time wounds all heels though, or oooops :D , I mean time heals all wounds (I don't mind showing my little Freudian Slip now and again :D )

I hope you folks are doing good ...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.