More threads by deandro

deandro

Hi, though I think I have other learning difficulties, I decided to post here since Asperger's has a large impact and I don't know what else I may have (I realize that you can't diagnose me online). I worry a lot about finding a career and running my own life but desperately want to live on my own. I'm currently a college senior applying for law school. I could do law school but I'm mostly planning to go because I don't know what else to do if I want any chance of a financially reliable career.

As for my Asperger's, my social difficulties include:
  1. Saying disturbing things without realizing it, offending people (e.g, I asked a friend if he recently heard about a dui accident to which he took offense.). I sometimes mention serial killers without thinking because they fascinate me, but partly I think my mind's so deep in the gutter that I say disturbing things without realizing.
  2. Not knowing what to say in a conversation.
  3. Saying things irrelevant to the conversation.
  4. Taking things literally.
  5. Generally not realizing what my words are interpreted to imply.
  6. Not knowing how to maintain eye contact or having too much eye contact.
  7. General awkwardness.

I seem to have problems with executive functioning:
  1. I have poor short-term memory.
  2. I have trouble estimating how long tasks take.
  3. I'm not very good with hands-on work: I have been incompetent in every service job I ever took. I have been considered slow and sloppy even though I usually spend extra effort to meet demands. For instance, I mopped floors for one of my jobs. I would mop the floor multiple times using replaced mop heads and water, only to hear complaints from the manager and co-workers about the floor's dirtiness. I swept before mopping. I really have no idea why I can't mop floors correctly.
  4. I have trouble recognizing faces. For example, I did not recognize someone I had spent an entire day with repairing a neighbor's deck. I had seen this person only a few months previously.
  5. I don't notice a lot of things around me. I have been in three car accidents within the last two years because I simply didn't notice things. At no time was I speeding, deliberately breaking traffic laws, or not watching the road.

Finally, I seem to have severe difficulty with spatial reasoning:
  1. I barely know how to read a map. I worked going house-to-house for one job but finally had to use a compass with the maps they gave me since I kept getting lost.
  2. I had trouble early on learning to tye my shoes. I had to use Velcro shoes till about the sixth grade.
  3. I had difficulty learning left from right. I don't remember exactly when I found the difference but I sure didn't know it during elementary school. Even when learning to drive I would sometimes drive into the wrong lane. I was 18 when I started learning to drive.

These are my main difficulties. At every turn my ability to handle daily affairs has been significantly hampered except for my ability to perform academically. I need to know how to drive or at least do an alternative that is equally effective for someone with a career. I also cannot get lost all the time. I fear I won't be able to travel outside the city without becoming horribly lost. I also hear about many Aspies with Masters working jobs those with only a high school education could do.

Questions:
  1. Do you have any advice on how I can manage my life and find a career?
  2. Do I seem to have learning disabilities besides Asperger?s? If so, what are they? I realize you can?t diagnose me formally but your input might help me get advice from a medical professional.

Thank you.

CarlaMarie

Have you thought about going to the psychology department of your school (if it's a big one) or to another college near by to get tested and refered. You are a high achiever acedemically but there are laws in place in the us that protect people with disabiliaties so there are people in place to help people just like you. You have to ask for help they don't find you. They can direct you to organizations and what ever services that are in your area that can help you. Those are my thoughts. Good luck!

Retired

Deandro,

Although I don't have as complete and understanding of Asperger's as I have with Tourette, you may be encouraged to know that within these neuro-psychiatric disorders there are positive aspects to many of the manifestations of the disorder. Believe it or not, people with OCD for example are great at performing detail oriented tasks and once they find their niche can be a valuable asset to their employer.

Depending on the specific manifestations of your repertoire of symptoms having Asperger's, you probably are already aware of certain things at which you excel, in your academic work and/or hobbies.

These are your marketable skills that some employer should be pleased to have.

As has been mentioned, consider arranging an interview with a psychologist who specializes in employment skill testing to find your particular marketable skills, then begin contacting employers showcasing what you can do.

I notice you articulate yourself very well in writing...as in the first post of this thread.

May I ask how are you with managing your financial affairs..IOW the business of life, as I like to call it.

deandro

Have you thought about going to the psychology department of your school (if it's a big one) or to another college near by to get tested and refered. You are a high achiever acedemically but there are laws in place in the us that protect people with disabiliaties so there are people in place to help people just like you. You have to ask for help they don't find you. They can direct you to organizations and what ever services that are in your area that can help you. Those are my thoughts. Good luck!

That's a good idea. I'll go to my psychology department.

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

I have worked part-time six out of my eight semesters to finish. I don't know the exact amount of my college debt but have paid off most of it. I also put $100 monthly into my Roth I.R.A. However, I live with my parents, which certainly helps. I was thinking of working some more but am not sure about that since I wish to finish my last year with staright As.

I recently found that I can't deposit $100 this month since my account is low. I might attain the funds from donating plasma or doing odd jobs. I have a friend who can get me a job paying $10 hourly.

Retired

I'll go to my psychology department

Excellent idea, as they may provide services for fellow students. Another option could be the Student Health Services of your University.

It sounds lik you have a pretty good handle on financial management...are you satisfied with your achievement?

deandro

Excellent idea, as they may provide services for fellow students. Another option could be the Student Health Services of your University.

It sounds lik you have a pretty good handle on financial management...are you satisfied with your achievement?

Not entirely. I would like to make some money during my last semester, but I'll forgo doing so if necessary to preserve my grades.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.