More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Atypical antipsychotics
Wikipedia entry

The atypical antipsychotics (also known as second generation antipsychotics) are a class of prescription medications used to treat psychiatric conditions. All atypical antipsychotics are FDA approved for use in the treatment of schizophrenia. Some carry FDA approved indications for acute mania, bipolar mania, psychotic agitation, bipolar maintenance, and other indications.

Atypical antipsychotic medications
Clozapine (Clozaril?) (FDA-approval: 1990) Available only in oral tablets.
Risperidone (Risperdal?) (FDA-approval: 1993) Available in oral tablets, dissolving tablets, liquid form, and extended release intramusclar injection.
Olanzapine (Zyprexa?) (FDA-approval: 1996) Available in oral tablets, dissolving tablets, and intramuscular injection.
Quetiapine (Seroquel?) (FDA-approval: 1997) Available only in oral tablets.
Ziprasidone (Geodon?) (FDA-approval: 2001) Available in oral capsules and intramuscular injection.
Aripiprazole (Abilify?) (FDA)-approval: 2002) Available in oral tablets and dissolving tablets.
Sertindole (Serlect?, Serdolect?) (Not approved by the FDA for use in the USA).
Zotepine (Not approved by the FDA for use in the USA).
Amisulpride (Not approved by the FDA for use in the USA).

...more

I am under psychiatric treatment, but I am curious. I am diagnosed OCD, cyclothmic disorder, and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and am taking the following meds:

Zoloft (200mg.)
Geodon (160mg.)
Klonopin (1mg.)

I asked my doctor and didn't get a direct answer. I think 160 mg. of Geodon is ALOT of meds to stabilize cyclothmic disoder. Isn't THAT high a dose of Geodon normally used to stabilize bipolar I and II and also for use of schizophrenia?

What's the highest dose for Geodon? I asked my doctor and he didn't answer me because I am OCD and he didn't wish to worry me. I am not worried, just dogged with curiousity!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Miss ex-clean, I think this is something that you should try to discuss with your doctor again. He knows your history and your symptoms and therefore he is in the best position to determine what dose is best for you.

KarenRB53

I've read that Zyprexa causes weight gain in most people. Would it be dose related as to how much weight is gained?

Thanks, Karen

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Most side-effects are dose related to the extent that the higher the dose you're taking the more likely it is that you will have one or more side-effects.

Weight gain is a known side-effect of Zyprexa. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone will experience that side-effect. Over the first 6-8 weeks of treatment, about 5-6% of patients gained some weight, depending on the study; this compares with about 1-2% of patients taking a placebo. One study indicated that the average weight gain over this sort of time frame (6-8 weeks) was 2.8 kg (that's about 6.1 lbs).

Another study showed that the weight gain was dose-dependent - over 8 weeks, they observed the following weight gain at different doses:

Daily Dose| Average Weight Gain
10 mg | 1.9 kg
20 mg | 2.3 kg
40 mg | 3 kg

See http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/olanzapine_ad.htm for more information.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.