More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
HowStuffWorks "What does "Auld Lang Syne" mean?"

Popular New Year's Eve tune "Auld Lang Syne" has its roots in Scotland in the 18th century.
Actually, it?s not any of these. On New Year's Eve, the most common song for most English-speaking people to sing is "Auld Lang Syne." Isn't it funny how it's possible to sing and hear a song so many times and have no idea what it means? And wouldn't it be funny if it meant "Big Pink Elephants"?
A good sub-question is, what language is it?

It turns out that "Auld Lang Syne" is an extremely old Scottish song that was first written down in the 1700s. Robert Burns is the person whose transcription got the most attention, so the song is associated with him.

According to this page, a good translation of the words "auld lang syne" is "times gone by." So (incorporating a couple of other translations) when we sing this song, we are saying, "We'll drink a cup of kindness yet for times gone by."

Jazzey

Account Closed
Right, and I would rather have expired egg nog than a virtual cup of sentiment
:funny:

I'm sitting here watching fireworks (my neighbours) - in the middle of a blizzard. Now that is a dose of determination! :) Might come in handy when I lose power too ;)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It's not New Years in China though, so I won't give you the brownie points :)

Maybe there is a consolation prize of mild admiration :D

Jazzey

Account Closed
:D...good, you haven't yet seen the section entitled "History: in the United States" - whew...I was getting ready to eat crow.:)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
You know I don't actually read the Wikipedia articles, especially when there are pictures :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.