More threads by GDPR

Retired

Not much in the way of color change in foliage around Ottawa this year. With warmer temps and dry ground, leaves may just go from green to dropped this year.

Steve

GDPR

GDPR
This is what my trees look like right now.They are not as colorful as they will be soon,but still,they're very pretty I think.

IMG_20161011_111052.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:20 AM ----------

IMG_20161011_112806.jpg

IMG_20161011_112749.jpg

Autumn leaves here are, so beautiful every color yellows reds oranges all dressed up the trees are this year best year so far since i moved here

GDPR

GDPR
Here along the road through the park many people bring their Halloween pumpkins and place them on the logs!

Is there a story,tradition or purpose for doing that? Are they just left there?Do people vandalize them?If that was done where I live,within hours they would all be smashed by teenagers.

making_art

Is there a story,tradition or purpose for doing that? Are they just left there?Do people vandalize them?If that was done where I live,within hours they would all be smashed by teenagers.

No story that I know of. People just take their pumpkins here after Halloween and just leave them. It is in the university area.

They are eaten by deer and other wildlife but mainly just fall apart and decompose. It is a forest area that you drive or bike too so I think that takes care of accessibility by kids walking around.

Not sure if the parks people do any clean up at some point.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I guess the deer and wildlife even get a festive period in this location then! Nom nom. I wonder if they wonder why all these orange snacks start appearing all of a sudden. 😆

Well, in my location it's not time for autumn foliage, but I'm seeing some in a nature-themed MMO game I play (the world there follows the northern hemisphere's seasons/events). Made of pixels but still pretty! [emoji14]

GDPR

GDPR
Completely off topic MHJ,but I had to Google MMO to see what it meant.I am not a gamer,so had no clue.

*no idea why I felt the need to say that*

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
You're right, there are so many terms in our world now relating to so many different little pockets of culture, technology, etc. I'd be utterly lost without someone who helps me work out a lot of tech stuff, and then I wonder what happens to anyone who doesn't have one of those people around... :panic:

GDPR

GDPR
One of my kids is a hardcore gamer.I have just never really been interested in it.They seem way too complicated for me,I am old school and miss games like pac man and..I even miss the old atari games.

No,I am not really old school,I'm just old.I used to go to the arcade and play Donkey Kong back in the day...

making_art

I play scrabble on my phone and I'm attempting Pokemon go but still need to figure out how to catch one[emoji849] i have read that you can get Pikachu when you start but the other issue is not wanting to use my data . So I'm waiting till i go downtown for the free wifi and i can then walk a distance to get him

GDPR

GDPR
Things have really changed from back in the day.I remember when pong was actually fun to play.And there was a game called Duck Hunt I used to love playing.Even a toddler would find those games boring and easy nowadays.

I have tried my sons Samsung Gear VR a few times.Virtual reality is the most amazing thing to me and I could probably really get into gaming if I owned it.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I must sadly admit that the more time marches on (and depending what else my brain is dealing with) the more I have no hope of any of the ones that are in any way complicated or that require coordinating much button pressing. Can't remotely deal with 98% of what's out there, much less master it.

My MMO game Animal Jam requires just mouseclicking on the game world or on big menu buttons, and a bit of arrow buttons (optional), and is technically aimed at children and full of tutorials aimed at the young'uns. Perfect. 😆

(And I'm a generation that was taught computers all through school and played consoles at home!! Sigh... )

Well, back on the autumn topic, this is the Animal Jam world in autumn time.

imagesqtbnANd9GcSY65BUCecJ5khUgadHtb7677-1.jpg

This is just a picture off the internet. But if I'm feeling reeeeeeally energetic later, I just may take some screenshots when I've decorated my animal's house with some pretty autumn items. 😆

GDPR

GDPR
That's not at all the type of game I imagined,I assumed you played the ones like my son does.

Looks like fun actually.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hee hee... it may be aimed at kids, but there seems to be a whole section of people who 'grew up' playing it and liked it too much to give up... wanting to keep seeing what new features and items keep coming in, etc etc...

...and the ones like me, mums or dads or aunties or whoever started playing it with a kiddie, and then went "Uh oh. I think I'm hooked... and let's face it, it's not that bad a thing to get hooked on." 😆 Besides, it's connected with NatGeo, it's educational and I think you can donate your 'gems' in the game to convert to money for conservation/nature causes and blah blah. What's not to like. Lol

(plus there's an optional 'trade items' feature which causes a whole exciting investment/stock market/economy type thing - deciding what items to let go of, and what items might become highly coveted and valuable if you hold onto them a while to trade them later. Oh man don't get me started. Adventures in Barter.😆)

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It's all awesome. The joy of solitaire, sudoku, scrabble, candy crush, etc, is the accessibility level - just more well known. More likely to be auto-installed on your phone or tablet or something, more likely to not have to learn anything too new, and so just handy and easy to get into.

And you know what - there are definitely people/groups who are just as super hardcore geeky about those games and stuff like that... I should really watch some championship level matches of strategy board games or something sometime, that would probably be fun. ☺

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.