More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Baking soda 'could slow kidney disease'
By Kate Devlin, Medical Corresopndent
Telegraph.co.uk

July 16, 2009

Baking soda could ease the suffering of patients with failing kidneys, a new study suggests.

Sodium bicarbonate can dramatically slow down the progression of the disease in some patients, researchers found.

Every year around 400 people with kidney failure die languishing on transplant waiting lists because of a shortage of donors.

A total of around three million people in Britain suffer from chronic kidney disease, which may have a number of causes and can leave them needing dialysis or a replacement organ.

Doctors have long wondered about using baking soda for kidney disease patients who commonly suffer from low bicarbonate levels, a condition called metabolic acidosis.

Researchers at the Royal London Hospital studied 134 patients with the condition, giving them a small daily dose of sodium bicarbonate in a tablet on top of their usual care.

Over one year their kidney function declined significantly more slowly than patients not given the baking soda.

In fact, their rate of decline was little more than would be expected with normal ageing.

Patients taking sodium bicarbonate tablets were also less likely to develop end-stage renal disease requiring dialysis, according to the findings published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

Magdi Yaqoob, Professor of Renal Medicine at the Royal London Hospital, who led the study, said: "It's amazing.

"A simple remedy like sodium bicarbonate when used appropriately can be very effective.

"This study shows baking soda can be useful for people with kidney failure.

"That is, as long as the dose is regulated and under supervision."

stargazer

I'm seeing the doctor to get the results of my lab work today. Last time I went (about six months ago), the doctor said that there was a "little something in the kidneys" but that they "weren't worried about it yet." (This he said after telling me my liver was fine.) I've since wondered if kidney problems might result from caffeine, as I sometimes feel a sensitivity in that area if my coffee is too strong, or I am drinking it at the wrong time of day.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I don't know what type of test your doctor was referring to, but certainly some test results are influenced by temporary factors (like being dehydrated or having done strenuous exercise).

stargazer

I don't know what type of test your doctor was referring to...

It was just the comprehensive lab work -- routine stuff.

...but certainly some test results are influenced by temporary factors (like being dehydrated or having done strenuous exercise).

That makes sense. Anyway, I just met with the doctor this afternoon and received the results of the lab work from Monday. My kidneys are actually fine, but there's some other stuff I'll discuss on my thread in the MVP forum.

That baking soda application sounds interesting.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.