More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Beckham's battle with OCD
Sunday, 02 Apr 2006

Everyone knows David Beckham is fantastic at controlling a football - but the England captain cannot control his need to clean and organise things, he has admitted.

Becks has revealed that he suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) which sparks strange rituals and repetitive behaviour.

In an interview to be screened on ITV1 before the World Cup, the 30-year-old football hero said he has to keep his disorder secret from his Real Madrid teammates.

"I've got this obsessive compulsive disorder where I have to have everything in a straight line or everything has to be in pairs," he told interviewer Tim Lovejoy.

Speaking about his problem for the first time, Becks said: "I'll go into a hotel room. Before I can relax I have to move all the leaflets and all the books and put them in a drawer. Everything has to be perfect."

The Sunday Mirror also reported that his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, 31, thinks he's a "weirdo" because of his bizarre behaviour.

Becks' condition means that he is also addicted to the pain of getting tattoos done. He has more than 12 images, including his three sons, on his body.

"Funnily enough, and I know it sounds weird, but I actually enjoy the pain," he said. "But I wouldn't just go and have something done that doesn't mean anything."

"It's either something to do with my family or something that I believe protects my family or myself. Victoria's not keen on me having many more but they are addictive."

I was going to post this. I saw it on a news channel.
Felt kind of sorry for him when, (on the thing I read) his wife calls him a weirdo, and his old manchester united football mates made fun of him! *shakes head*

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.