More threads by Lina G

Lina G

I am just wondering what others think around the benefits of combining two and more theories of counselling. Input please!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yes. She was really good with challenging my negative thinking, e.g. finding my blind spots where I didn't even realize I was being overly negative. And I liked the miracle question technique she used from solution focused therapy.

In retrospect, though, I think I would have stayed with her longer if she had included a DBT or ACT approach since I later became a fan of Marsha Linehan and bought her skills book for DBT.

Good question, Lina-

It's actually pretty rare these days to find a therapist who only uses one theory. For some time, graduate schools have encouraged students to be grounded in one theory but knowledgeable and experienced with several. Many would choose which theories and techniques based on the issues presented. A client with a simple phobia will probably receive behavioral treatment from their therapist, regardless of their primary orientation.

The main thing is, their approach should make sense to you and provide results. They should be able and willing to discuss what they're implementing and why. If there are roadblocks, there should be coherent explanations for that as well.

Most well-known and well-researched theories produce results, but not all therapists do and not all therapeutic relationships do.

Overall, yes, many therapists use more than one theory, often with ideal results. But if it's a mainstream theory clients shouldn't worry about its effectiveness, but rather on their comfort with the technique and the therapist.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.