More threads by foghlaim

foghlaim

Had a psych apt last week, actually saw a really nice lady doc. was in with her for nearly an hour, longest apt i've ever had over there. Anyway,, i asked (as was my intention going over there) what was my diagnosis.. based on the meds i was on she said looks like bipolar.. not very clear eh? she then asked me what i thought the diagnosis should be.. so i spoke of the various moods, (dep and high's) over the past number of yrs. She then said from your description and the meds you were on, definately Bipolar.

as i said above i was in there for a long time, i asked some questions, some similar to the ones i've been asking here, and we talked over some other things as well. Too long to go into here.

no surprise to find the ans was to go back on meds again, but she wasn't pushy like the other guy.. but I have script but not filling it yet if I do at all.

Going over i thought maybe not..trying to hold onto slim hope, but at same time kinda knew this would be the diagnosis.

So now I know for sure..

I'm not happy but then is anyone when diagnosed with bipolar.

at the min.. just trying to keep myself ultra busy.. and not thinking too much about it. Just thought i'd post something on this.

Re: bipolar confirmed

I can relate to having a hard time accepting your diagnosis. I don't understand why it is so hard. And being on medication to help is hard, but I'm trying to look at it as necessary and ok.

This things are part of us, but they are not WHO we are. We are human beings with feelings and emotions and thoughts and unique abilities. And the great thing is, I think, there ARE medications that can help us. No, it isn't any fun to have these things, but everyone has a burden to carry in life, sometimes many burdens and this is one of them for us. And another great thing is there are friends to help us and people to help us carry our burdens.

:hug: I hope some of this makes some sense.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Also, does it not help to at least know what has been causing all the highs and lows? and to know that the difficulty you've had trying to control those without medication is not because you are weak or {insert other adjective here}, but because that is the nature of the illness?

it's very hard to be diagnosed with something like this. i am glad you discussed it with your doctor, and that you had a nice doctor to speak with. i hope that in time maybe you'll be ready for the treatment that goes with this illness. i'd like to see you feel better. take care and hugs. :hug:

stargazer

Had a psych apt last week, actually saw a really nice lady doc. was in with her for nearly an hour, longest apt i've ever had over there.

My experience (here in the U. S. anyway) is that the first appointment with the doctor is longer than those following, and it is then that I can really get a guage for how dedicated the doctor might be. I've lucked out more through my local County program than I did when I was with Kaiser (a gigantic health insurance mogul in America) probably because of under-staffing at Kaiser. If you can get along with your doctor and talk with her about your issues, that will really work in your favor.

no surprise to find the ans was to go back on meds again, but she wasn't pushy like the other guy.. but I have script but not filling it yet if I do at all.

I've also noticed that some doctors are pushy, and I get the disturbing feeling they "can't wait" to see me get on some certain medication, just to see what kind of effect it will have on me. If she isn't pushy, but at the same time shows concern for you, I think that's a good sign.

I'm not happy but then is anyone when diagnosed with bipolar.

I think people can be happy with that diagnosis. I think it's existential, though, and involves conflicting feelings, related to our sense of self, and our expectations. In my case, although my feelings about myself have varied since the diagnosis, I believe that by and large I am happier knowing that there is an actual mental health condition at the root of some of my mood swings and behavioral problems, than if I had to concede that I were, as Dr. Baxter suggested, just weak or [insert other adjective].

Knowing that I am bipolar gives me a platform on which to stand when trying to get through life and deal with all the things it throws at us. I'm also finding that public awareness of bipolar disorder is increasing, and so there is less stigma attached to it than there might have been ten or fifteen years ago. Usually, people are interested in knowing more about it, and if they think they can be supportive, they will be.

That's been my experience anyway, though I've only been on medication specifically for bipolar disorder for three months now. My friends and family are slowly discerning that I'm a little mellower than I was earlier, and life seems gentler and easier to manage.

Good luck to you.

foghlaim

thank you Janet, you are so right, there are friends to help us and i found them here.:)

David: in a way yes, looking back I can see it explains a lot. like for inst.. not being able to shrug off the lows' at times despite my thoughts being okay. (normal, optimistic i mean). those times it took a while to come up again.
can i ask this?... would it be okay if i just took meds when i'm down.. like if i go too low.. I think i can handle the high's without meds... trying to find a middle ground here... someway of getting round the meds all the time.. I just can't handle the thoughts of taking them for life or even a really long extended period..(yrs) I'm thinking maybe i could handle taking them for short periods, not even sure of that yet.. but at least i'm thinking it might be possible.

Ladybug.. Thank you for the hugs.. and your words of encouragement.

SG. can you explain the word, existential... sorry i have heard this word before.. but never found out what it means.
and thank you also for your encouraging response.

stargazer

The word "existential" is used more-or-less loosely in common parlance to refer to one's struggles with or against the conditions of existence. It's based on a philosophy called Existentialism, which unlike other philosophies, values the subjective experience of each individual, and considers pursuits such as finding the meaning of life to be of great importance. People I hang out with refer to "existential conflicts" when basically they/we just don't know what's happening in our heads & we feel directionless, yet searching.

Some well-known existential philosophers were Sartre, Nietsche, Heideger, and Kierkegaard. Here's a Wikipedia definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

Hope that helps.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
would it be okay if i just took meds when i'm down.. like if i go too low.. I think i can handle the high's without meds... trying to find a middle ground here... someway of getting round the meds all the time.. I just can't handle the thoughts of taking them for life or even a really long extended period..(yrs) I'm thinking maybe i could handle taking them for short periods, not even sure of that yet.. but at least i'm thinking it might be possible.

Honestly, foghaim, this is best discusses with your doctors. Some people can decrease medication dosage during "normal" cycles but discontinuing them entirely probably isn't wise for most people. For one thing, when you need to re-start them, there is a time delay, which may be up to 3 to 6 months, before they really kick in. That is way too long to be severely depressed, in my opinion.

foghlaim

I see, thank david. a non flier then... maybe i'll ask me g.p, when ever i see her again.. the psych has recommended i go back on effexor and lithuim.. just thinking about that time delay... maybe if i found out how long these take to "kick in". this is just really messing with my head.. some questions i have, i already know the ans to,, others are just off hte wall so to speak,,
sorry for annoying ye.. :(

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's not annoying at all, foghaim. That's what the forum is here for. :)

Definitely talk to your doctors, though. With Effexor, you're probably looking at up to 4 to 6 weeks. With lithium, probably up to 3 months.

foghlaim

okay i blocked out all and every thought ihad against taking med and swallowed some half hour ago, man am i sorry,,i'm so sick i want to throw up.. i don't rememebr being this sick last time.....flipping hell!!

ThatLady

Just remember, Fog, that these early side-effects do pass as your body gets used to the medication. Nothing worth having comes easily. :hug:

foghlaim

just after writing the above... i just made it to the bathroom, even my son got up and helped me back to my room. my throat is actually raw this am. even swallowing water is hard. not gonna try again for another while, a long another while.

foghlaim

it look like i have a wee dose of food poisioning.. so my being sick wasn't the meds.. just a coincidence.. i'm still sick today, so it can't have been the meds.

more than likely it was a meal i had last night.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Or the 'flu. It appears the season has started a little earlier than normal, at least here in Canada.

I am getting my 'flu shot today at 2:30.

foghlaim

aaggh.. don't be saying things like that david... I hate the flu and i really hate injections.... rather you than me dear boy.. you can have it.. lol

ThatLady

Ish. I hope you feel better soon, Fog. Being sick is the pits! I am glad it wasn't the medication causing it, though. I'm really hoping you can find something that will help you feel better! :hug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.