More threads by finetime

finetime

A new mouse model of mania
National Institute of Mental Health
Press Release, March 2008
Author: Husseini K. Manji, M.D. (Director, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program)

A major limitation to progress in research and treatment has been the lack of an appropriate animal model for BPD. This work was developed to create such a model based on a genetically engineered defect in the GluR6 gene. The glutamate receptor 6 (GluR6 or GRIK2, one of the kainate receptors) gene resides in a genetic linkage region (6q21) associated with BPD. Kainate receptors respond to the neurotransmitter glutamate, and recent research in mood disorders suggests that the glutamatergic system may play a role in causing mood disorders.

Until now, the role of GluR6 in regulating the mood swings of BPD has been unknown. Furthermore, the gene encoding the GluR6 receptor has recently been linked to treatment emergent suicidal ideation with antidepressants in a pharmacogenetic study. Notably, individuals with bipolar disorder are most susceptible to antidepressant-induced dysphoric states. In this study, mice of several strains were used to investigate this issue. Mice who were missing the GluR6 gene were compared with control mice.

The mice underwent a series of tests designed to approximate the symptoms of mania. The researchers found that mice that were missing the GluR6 gene exhibited many of these symptoms. They were more active in multiple tests and super-responsive to amphetamine, which is used in animal models to approximate hyperactivity. These mice also exhibited less anxious or more risk-taking type behavior and less despair-type behavior. They also tended to be more aggressive.

Notably, BPD is most often treated with a class of medications known as mood stabilizers; lithium is perhaps the best known of these medications. The researchers found that chronic treatment with lithium reduced hyperactivity, aggressive displays, and some risk-taking type behavior in mice missing the GluR6 gene. When biochemical tests were conducted, they also suggested that GluR6 may play a unique role in regulating some of the symptoms of mania. This new animal of mania permits researchers to better understand bipolar disorder and to screen for new treatments that if successful in the animal model can then be translated to the clinic.

Citation source: "Whole-genome association study of bipolar disorder," Molecular Psychiatry, March 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halo

Re: bipolor mouse

Finetime,

If you have reproduced this from another source would you please PM me the link so that I can add it to the post and give proper credit to the author.

Thanks
Halo

Halo

Thanks Finetime :)

I have fixed up the post to add the link to the original author/site as well as added the beginning of the article which was missing.

finetime

just shows that we are being played about with are meds so to speak sory about my spelling iv got dyslexia as well ,some what harder for me

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
just shows that we are being played about with are meds

I don't understand what you are saying. Certainly, medications are the most effective treatment for most people with bipolar disorder, though a combo package of therapy and medications is best.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
finetime said:
just shows that we are being played about with are meds

Not at all. In fact, the article you quoted says just the opposite:

Notably, BPD is most often treated with a class of medications known as mood stabilizers; lithium is perhaps the best known of these medications. The researchers found that chronic treatment with lithium reduced hyperactivity, aggressive displays, and some risk-taking type behavior in mice missing the GluR6 gene.

finetime

Yet i find with the meds am on in the uk and the lack of understanding in are mental heath system,i feel like am being the one that is being tested on with a change of meds about twice a year and even more with the sleepers in the highs all additive.to make me stable .sleepers are the only ones that carm me down yet again i put my self at risk.in over doing it at times .iv ended up in other countries in a dream like state i just keep on running untill i come around.which is a worry.such so i had to put my pass port in safe keeping.anyhow one as got the psych in the morning then more test on me blood samples etc.so in that manner after 15 yrs or so that still dont no what to do with me as yet to stabilize me as yet.please forgive me with my grammer etc as am dyselex as well and words are not my forte.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm sorry to hear that. But medications to treat bipolar disorder are not the problem - sometimes finding the right diagnosis and the right combination of medications to stabilize you requires some patience and some collaboration with your doctor as to what works and what doesn't.

finetime

I'm sorry to hear that. But medications to treat bipolar disorder are not the problem - sometimes finding the right diagnosis and the right combination of medications to stabilize you requires some patience and some collaboration with your doctor as to what works and what doesn't.
yes thanks i keep on trying.i come to the conclusion that bipolar is a part of me as i of it,as to say i dont no what normal is and would i be contented with this normal after so long. i eat good ,exercise in fact am up most nights when high on my exercise bike like a mouse on a wheel.thanks again finetime.:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.