More threads by Ginger Spot

Hello,
I am new to these forums and I would like some input on the current medications I am taking and possibly switching to new medications or adding on to what I am already prescribed. I have ADD and also have been newly diagnosed 8 months ago as being Bipolar II.

The medications I am currently taking for Bipolar II are Lamotrigine at 175mg/day, Olanzapine (Zyprexa) at 10mg-15mg/day (taken in the evening) and Citalopram (an antidepressant) at a mere 10mg/day.

My ADD meds are 1 54mg and 1 27mg of Concerta (81mg total) in the morning and 3 10mg tablets of Ritalin in the afternoon/evening.

I find that the Lamotrigine is helping with my rapid-cycling. But the Olanzapine is where the problem is - I am oversleeping up to 10.5 hours a night and I always feel groggy and unmotivated the next day, also it has cause me to gain about 15 pounds. I don't like the side effects the Olanzapine has caused me and I would like to be weaned off of it. Despite the negative side effects I've mentioned, I do find however that Olanzapine does help me fall asleep, which is a good thing as I've always had trouble with that.

Also, I am looking into an alternative medication aside from the Olanzapine as an add-on to my Lamotrigine. I've researched that Depakote may be an option but I am open to hear what has been effective for others with Bipolar II. As for going off the Olanzapine and having to go through not getting to sleep as well I've also heard that Clonazepam may be helpful for me to fall asleep for a short while (2-6 weeks). I've taken Zopiclone for a few weeks several months ago help me get to sleep but I realize that Zopiclone cannot be taken longer than a couple of weeks whereas Clonazepam may be taken for a longer period of time.

Any feedback would be of great help to me, and I appreciate it.

Many Thanks,
Ginger

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hi, Ginger.

We cannot give you specific medical advice here. Your doctors know your medical and medication history. Your best bet is to discuss your symptoms and side-effects with them.

Thank you David,
To be sure, I'm not looking for specifics but as the saying goes "2 heads are better than 1". I was looking for feedback on what others found helpful for them, and that being only input that I will discuss with my psychiatrist - shedding light on a solution that we haven't yet thought of throughout the course of my treatments.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thank you for the clarification. I think you'll find that your experience with Olanzapine is fairly common but it's unlikely that clonazepam would be better than Zopiclone for the insomnia. The recommendation previously was that Zopiclone should not be used for long-term use but recent research has suggested that it is safe to use longer term. Another option would be trazodone.

Thanks for your prompt reply, David. I don't know anything about Trazodone other than it is classified as an antidepressant. I will ask for more information from my doctor.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It is classified as an antidepressant but it isn't used for that purpose typically because it makes people sleepy - hence its use to treat insomnia.

Hi Ginger Spot,

Last year I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder (don't know if it is I or II though). I used to sleep from 11 till about 3 or 4 in the morning and then not be able to sleep after that. This went on for months and was driving me crazy. I was eventually put on Seroquel and Epival (Devalproex/Depakote). I found with this combo I slept like the dead. Unfortunately you do tend to wake up groggy, especially in the beginning. I also put on some weight. I was later diagnosed with adhd and was also prescribed Concerta and lost about half the weight I had previously gained. Seeing as how you are already on a pretty high dose of methylphenidate, you probably won't have to worry as much about the weight gain.

Standard disclaimer: All I am saying is this worked for me. I'm not implying that it will work for you also. Please consult with your doctor for all questions of a medical nature.:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.