More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Blinded by the lyric? Study reveals why we get the words wrong
by Diane Mapes
Friday, March 27, 2009

Misheard song lyrics, sometimes referred to as mondegreens, are incredibly common, often hilarious and always a crowd pleaser, judging by the number of stories, web sites such as KissThisGuy and AmIRight, and water cooler chatter devoted to the topic.

But while we can rattle off common misinterpreted lyrics (think “wrapped up like a douche” from Manfred Mann’s [version of Bruce Springsteen's] Blinded by the Light), most of us don’t really know exactly why it happens.

A new study by Dr. Wei Ji Ma, assistant professor of neuroscience at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Tex., may finally reveal why so many of us think Freddie Mercury is singing “Beelzebub has a devil for a son named Steve” in Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
YouTube - Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Turns out, unless you're looking at a person's face, it’s much harder to understand what he or she is saying (or singing), according to Ma, who recently authored a study on lip-reading.

“Understanding speech can be difficult, especially when it’s noisy,” or overwhelmed by a loud music track, says Ma, whose study appeared in the March journal of Public Library of Science. “We found that this process can be helped a lot by looking at the speaker’s face. If you have only sound information, you will sometimes make mistakes. But if you also have the visual information, the brain will combine those two pieces and get a better sense of what’s being said.”

In the small study, Ma had 33 volunteers watch videos of people saying words with different levels of background noise, then had participants report what they thought they heard. He found that, depending on the noise level, participants got the words right a mere 10 percent of the time when there were only sound cues. Seeing a person's lips move improved understanding of the spoken words up to 60 percent.

The brain is like a police detective interviewing various witnesses after a crime, says Ma.

Visual information is one witness; auditory information is another. But just as in a criminal investigation, the witnesses can sometimes get the facts wrong. The brain basically weighs all the information it has and makes its best possible guess based on its own biases. Which is where that infamously wrong Creedence Clearwater Revival lyric, “There’s a bathroom on the right” instead of “There's a bad moon on the rise” comes into play.

“What seems to be happening with misunderstood song lyrics is that what you hear is not always reliable,” says Ma. “It’s noisy, the singer is singing fast, he’s not articulating well or maybe he has an accent. The sound information is uncertain, that’s step one.”

Step two is when the brain combines the sound information with whatever other information it has at its disposal, including prior beliefs or expectations.

“We hear some (expressions) more often than others,” says Ma. “And we often hear about bathrooms, or we’ll ask about a bathroom at a restaurant and be told that it’s on the right. That’s something we’ve heard many times. It’s much less common to hear a sentence like ‘There’s a bad moon on the rise.’ The brain will combine what it hears — the sounds — with those prior beliefs, those expectations. If the sound is not very reliable, than the prior beliefs will have more effect.”

Upbringing and personality may also have an impact on how a person hears or mishears a song lyric, says Ma.

“I was on one of those lyrics Web sites and found a line from Bohemian Rhapsody that goes ‘Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me’,” he says. “But Beelzebub is not a very common word. I saw that someone had misheard that as ‘The algebra has a devil put aside for me.’ Maybe that’s someone who really hates math.”

Is there any possible way to avoid mishearing song lyrics?

“If you’re watching (the video) while listening to the song, you’re going to do much better at understanding the lyrics correctly than if you’re listening to the music on your MP3,” says Ma.

After hearing Ma explain his research, I must admit that years ago I used to mock my little sister for mixing up the lyrics to a certain America song. Instead of riding through the desert on a “horse with no name,” she was galloping across the dunes on a “horse with no mane.”

I have my own mangled version of Fleetwood Mac’s Dreams. Instead of “when the rain washes you free you’ll know,” I sang at the top of my lungs. “When Loraine watches you clean your nose.”

Beyond understanding why we get the songs wrong, Ma’s research could help clear up other verbal miscommunication problems. If you want to make sure someone understands exactly what you’re saying, face the person when speaking and don’t cover your mouth with your fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFB

Are you saying that someone heard "Our home and native land" as "We stand on cars and freeze"? :eek: I ask because obviously, that's not even close!

Jazzey

Account Closed
:..One on my favorite songs...Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" that is...:D

And in my version "Terre de nos a?eux..."....Sorry, couldn't resist. :)......:coffee:

VFB

or 'Our Home On Native Land' :coffee: Mari

Sorry, this website actually says that it is "and".
pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm]Canadian Heritage - National Anthem: O Canada

Unless you were referring to "on" being a mishearing :) Do excuse me.

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

i believe it's "we stand on guard for thee" :)

Oh, that would make more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Andy

MVP
I love this. When someone sings the wrong lyric it's humourous but everyone does it. Some people have great imaginations. Some people shock you as to where and why there mind went THERE.
What's even funnier (to me) is when your singing a song and all of a sudden :lightbulb: You realize the correct lyrics and just how ridiculous your original lyrics were (especially if you realize your one of the people mentioned above).:bonk:
Then come the flashbacks... all the times you sang those silly lyrics in front of people.
Then comes denial, :nah: Nobody, noticed, right?
Then comes the annoyance/anger at your friends for letting you continue to sing such complete nonsense. :eek:mg:
Then, of course acceptance. :whistle:
Until that next new song comes out...:hissyfit:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I love "potato wave" :rofl:

That is funny too. Good ol' Mr Potatoe Head :lol:

Sorry for hijacking your post Dr Baxter, but I just couldn't resist posting that. So many of my friends and I found that particular one so amusing. Looks like you all do too

:crazy:

amastie

For years, I never could understand the words of a song by Hot Chocolate. I had to look up the title of the song just now. I could only remember the recurring theme which I thought was "I believe in Milkoes" (which I took to be some kind of chocolate treat) The right words are "I believe in miracles".

I had to Google it just now to find the title. It is "You sexy thing".

How often does Freud feature in the way we misread those lyrics?

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
My favourite lyric misquote is one my dad did once. When the spice girls were going through their most popular phase my younger sister was a huuuuuge fan. Their music was playing constantly at our house. One of their songs is called "Mama, I love you." One day I walked into the kitchen, this song was playing in the background, and my dad was singing absent-mindedly, "Norman, I love you." It's been over a decade, but I've still giggled about it the whole way through this post. Priceless. Poor Dad :)

Halo

That's funny Meg....I am sure that your dad was definitely embarrassed to be singing a Spice Girls song :lol: :D

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Years ago, when the Spice Girls were at their peak, I was in a Shopper's Drug Mart and a woman and her little son, maybe 5, were there shopping, and he came running down the aisle to his mom all excited, yelling "The Spithe Girlth! Mommy, I found the Spithe Girlth! Can I get their pothter?".

It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen. :D

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Maybe he talked like that cause his front teeth fell out?

"All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" :lol:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.