More threads by Andy

Andy

MVP
I was wondering if anyone knows much about BMI?
Your suppose to be in certain ranges in order to be healthy and the BMI is most often used. Is that actually even accurate though? Wouldn't a persons build and bone structure also really be a factor?

I don't find the BMI to be very accurate.:eek:

Retired

Have a look at Tool: BMI calculator - MayoClinic.com for the Mayo Clinic BMI calculator. They give some information about compensating for various situations, such as age and body style. There are some interesting associated pages in connection with nutrition, as one would expect at the Mayo Clinic site....one of my favorite resources

Banned

Banned
I've heard too that most Olympic athletes will measure as obese or grossly obese using the BMI, because it's rather generic.

When I calculate my BMI, it comes up as obese. I'm overweight - there's no question, but I'm far from obese. I do have alot of muscle which makes me a bit heavier, and when I was a competitive gymnast my BMI wasn't much lower than it is now. I, personally, think it's a little over-rated as a measuring tool, and should be approached with caution as there are so many variables that can affect the result and each individual needs to remember that they are just that - an individual.

Andy

MVP
I agree. I guess it's just a general guide but it's dumb because how do you know "really" where you fit. I suppose just going by fat percentage and BMI you can get an idea?
I think it's really stupid. lol

Retired

I would be reluctant to reach any conclusion about the usefulness of BMI for a given individual without consulting a dietitican or a health professional who specializes in weight management.

This would exclude the lady down at the local health foods store or theguy at the local fitness center.

It's not an area I have had any experience with, and like you, are confused by it, especially since I am currently on a weight loss regimen prescribed by my physician in anticipation of a upcoming medical procedure. If I use the Mayo Clinic BMI calculator, it shows me as being overweight, although I am at the target set by my doctor, and I feel I'm at my optimum lifetime weight.

Hopefully we can all gain better insights from someone with a clearer understanding of BMI.

Andy

MVP
I agree. I especially agree with not listening to the person at the health foods store. I had a bad experience with that. Been there done that with the dietician.

Yeah, see it just doesn't work. lol If your at a good weight for your medical procedure (all the best btw) then why does the Mayo clinic say your not and this is what we are suppose to go by.

I'm thinking the only way to really get a good idea is with calipers and measuring and the like. Who knows if that's right though.

Thanks for the link though, I found some other interesting articles.

Andy

MVP
That's never a bad idea anyway. I love pilates and yoga (in the privacy of my own home) both are great for elongating the spine. :2thumbs: When I was actually doing it:eek: I felt a lot taller, my posture was definitely better. lol Anyway, I hope that goes well.:)

gloria

BMI is definitely only a guideline for a healthy weight, the big problem I find with it is that everyone your gender, height, weight and age has the same exact BMI.
I watched a slide show online once that flashed pics of people and said what they were (underweight, over weight or. etc.) according to their BMI. Some of the pictures were absolutely ridiculous.

Andy

MVP
I agree Gloria. I think that in some cases it's just completely unrealistic for people to have to fall into their supposed BMI range. :bonk:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.