More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Borderline Personality Disorder: Joanie's Story
by Beth McHugh
May 13, 2010

Joanie began to display the initial symptoms of BPD when she was in her late teens but was not formally diagnosed with the disorder for several years.

As is typical of persons suffering BPD, Joanie's personality is essentially unstable, with inexplicable mood swings and rapid changes in her view of her own self. Hence her "apparent" self esteem could range from being very outgoing and confident to being self absorbed and unsure of herself. In reality, Joanie has low self esteem but the image she presents to the world is governed by the company and situation she is in. One of the first things one notices about Joanie is her friendliness. But after just five to ten minutes, the casual observer begins to realize that there is something unnatural about this friendliness. Because of pronounced boundary problems, which is also a typical attribute of those suffering from this disorder, Joanie comes on too strong too soon. There is a false closeness that she radiates, as though she has known you for years and yet you might only have met her just 15 minutes earlier.

Also typical of the condition, Joanie exhibits wild fluctuations in her affections for others. Joanie can meet a person and be really taken with them to the point where she talks of little else. In one instant, Joanie offered to help a sick friend of her mother's who she had only just met. In typical BPD style, Joanie went overboard in her efforts to help this person, even promising to sleep overnight for a week so that the old lady concerned would get a restful night's sleep as she was just out of hospital. The old lady was overcome with joy and thanked Joanie, which of course, fed right into Joanie's profound low self esteem.

So what started out as a seemingly genuine offer to help, ended in Joanie pulling the plug after just one night. Naturally the old lady was devastated but she had no way of knowing that Joanie was actually sicker than she was. Moreover, Joanie seemed to exhibit no remorse or conscience about pulling out of her promise. What was really going on was that Joanie couldn't handle the responsibility of caring for the woman but just liked the idea that she might be able to help her.

Another sign of the presence of this disorder is that although Joanie is a fully qualified teacher, she is now in her 50s and has only worked as a teacher for a year. She puts it down to having a family but her children are adults with jobs of their own and still Joanie does not work. In fact, she has never worked, flitting from one community program to another and never brought in a wage or undertaken stable employment.

Again it is the thought of constancy, of having to work, to care for, to look after, that frightens Joanie. She's good at talking but she can't commit to anything or anyone and needs to feel cared for herself. Her fear of abandonment by her husband is profound and like most sufferers of BPD is often preoccupied with sex, to the extent that it permeates even normal conversation. She even likened the shape of one particular brand of biscuits to that of a vagina.

Taken on an individual basis, none of these behaviors are particularly damning but looked at as a whole, they form a cluster of behaviors that is typical of BPD. At her age, there is little that Joanie can do to change her behavior since she suffers from a personality disorder, meaning that the behaviors she exhibits are pervasive, permanent and immutable.

Naturally it can be difficult to live with a person whose moods and interests change so rapidly. Nor is it hard to understand why the divorce relate for people suffering from BPD is quite high. Therapy can help in such cases but the person has to surrender to the advice of both the counselor and the immediate family who suffer the consequences of the person's actions.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The prognosis is not hopeless for BPD but not much is going to change without the right kind of therapy with the right therapist (i.e., a therapist who is experienced in treating BPD). The individual is not going to change on her or his own.

poss

Yeah I guess so. It's just disheartening to read about someone aged 50 still having so many symptoms as I thought this illness generally improved with age. It's also hard to hear about there being a high divorce rate among people with BPD. There are so many negative things written about this illness. I for one would never want to admit to having BPD because of its name and negative press.

Andy

MVP
Poss, If someone with BPD is willing to go through the process and put the work in with therapy they can totally recover from this and if not fully then they will have the tools to keep themselves stable. I have a few friends with it but one who was very sick with BPD, very sick, and now she is doing great, she still has her things to deal with like anyone but she is doing so good. If their is a high divorce rate, that doesn't mean it's a definite. Their is a high divorce rate period, in everyone,that's something you just have to work on always, sick or not, but if the person with BPD themselves are healthy then that doesn't have to be a definite outcome to their marriage. I don't know, in my opinion anyway.
I actually can agree with you about all the negativity associated with this and in my opinion having this label hanging over your head does nothing but harm. I mean it's good to know of the disorder to know which direction to go for treatment like DBT but even nurses and doctors treat people with this disorder in a completely, usually disrespectful way. Some Psychiatrists knowing this will actually diagnose their patients with PTSD now because even they know how badly the stigma of this disorder effects their patients. I think people with BPD have to develop a thick skin and just know that this can happen but also know it's not you, it's them and their ignorance.
I think this disorder is all around difficult, but do not get discouraged about it because with the right help and putting in the hard work this can be recovered from or at least managed.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have clients with spouses or other families who clearly suffer from anxiety disorders or major depressive episodes or bipolar disorder, and they don't get any better as the years go by either - NOT because their conditions aren't treatable but because they refuse to consider taking medications or seeing a therapist.

The fact that "Joannie" is 50 and still having problems and creating problems for others is not because she's untreatable either. The real problem is that you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped or refuses to do what is necessary to improve.

Wow. I read this with huge interest and a lot of personal inflection.

I have a completely different take on Joanie's inability to stick at one thing for too long. Was she included, was she welcome in society, if she didn't start working until she was 50, was this because of the job application process.? If a person is even in their late-teens, early 20's, and has not had a job, or could not get a post-secondary education because they didn't handle puberty well and was in the psych system for a few years, an employer will rarely pick the application off of the pile. The only way to get into the work force at that point is by having an insider network.

I used to say to the employment councillors that, now that you've done the job aptitude testing and job placement in a sheltered workshop and have seen that I'm a hard worker, please put in a good word with me with a prospective employer. Mentorships are a bonafide method of helping one get started in competitive employment - Community Living and what was formerly known as ARC Industries, did it all the time. However, the employees in the mental health system didn't seem to feel that extra helping hand to get one started was necessary... ever. When I asked for this support, I was refused. The social worker said no one helped her get her first job so why should she hel p me with gettting one?

If you read books about the effects of social isolation, exclusion from society, or the lack of integration with the traditional world, you will see the symptoms match almost identically with BPD.

I can't say that is what happened in this case, but in mine, I can almost guarantee that is why I was exhibiting those behaviours for so long. I knew I wanted a job, I was skilled enough to do it, but becuase of circumstances beyond my control, I could not get the formal training I need.

One day I'll share my experiences with the bursary program for a post-secondary education (you're limited in what you can take so you choose something that isn't quite a good fit for your personality - rationalizing that you can always change to something better later in life), or a job placement where you are a free employee for 4months - the government, not the employer, is paying me, and they hire you... for a week, before they let you go and get another free employee. It catches up with these employers eventually, but if you're caught in the trap of bad policies, or a disingenuine employer, you will jump from ship, to ship, to ship, and you will be so overwhelmed with wanting to fit in, that you'll pull the bomb the person thing - talk too much and reveal far too much, on the first day or so that you meet someone.

I'll try to find some good links on the topic of social isolation and the effects of exclusion, and even bullying, later on.

Andy

MVP
I have a completely different take on Joanie's inability to stick at one thing for too long. Was she included, was she welcome in society, if she didn't start working until she was 50, was this because of the job application process.? If a person is even in their late-teens, early 20's, and has not had a job, or could not get a post-secondary education because they didn't handle puberty well and was in the psych system for a few years, an employer will rarely pick the application off of the pile. The only way to get into the work force at that point is by having an insider network.

If you read books about the effects of social isolation, exclusion from society, or the lack of integration with the traditional world, you will see the symptoms match almost identically with BPD.

I think this can still go both ways though. Was Joanie accepting help? No, or briefly. Working on her problems may have had her moving in a more positive direction to get healthy and work on getting those supports to get her an "insider network". How can she get that network if she won't stick with getting help? I also think that a person that didn't have a post secondary education or previous job, that had no health issues at all applied for a job they would get the same treatment and most employers do not need to even know of your medical history regarding mental health.

All those symptoms may match BPD but they match other mental illnesses as well and again people without a mental health diagnosis. I completely agree that social isolation makes it ten times harder to get out there, but getting the help makes it easier, in my opinion.

Off topic: Do they have that free employee program in AB?

I have BP/ADHD/ED and have recently been dx'd with BPD. Yes, I have been in traditional therapy and am under the care of a psychiatrist who is treating me with meds that are working. It was hard to diagnosis me with BPD due to the other illness' but after doing research and coming to grips with reality things all made sense.

Soon I will be getting intense help for the BPD; for a very, very long time- weekly. It is something that I do not plan on skipping unless I'm drastically sick (like vomiting with the flu). I'm doing this for myself, my family and my marriage. It hurts me knowing that I have hurt my family. Just knowing how I have behaved is very upsetting. Living in denial all these years has been hard to accept. Acceptance is the first step into getting treatment and making the treatment work (I have been told that it makes one follow thru with treatment far more than if one is in denial of their illness of BPD).

The divorce rate for many mental illness' are high. For both BP and BPD are high and I have them both. Luckily I married a guy with a heart of gold who is very patient and loves me for who I am beneath the shell/inside my heart. Not what I am on the outside; the emotional rollercoaster, the rages, the flipping of the splitting, the BP issues, the disorganized issues of the ADHD, the forgetfullness, the moodiness... and the ED.

I am so grateful for my husband and children. Without them I would not be here. They are the reason I want to get better. I want to get better so badly just for them. Recently I bought a book for my husband on how to deal with loved ones who have BPD and we both are reading it 'together'. It is helping me understand how I react/how it effects him/our children. It is helping him understand how to cope for himself/our boys/protect them/deal with me. It was the smartest thing I have done in years. I'm glad I did it. All I want is to save my marriage, family and myself from this mental illness.

It is good to be here.

Coffeegirl

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

About Joanie's Story: It made me have goosebumps. A lot I could relate to. It was scary. My husband tells me every time we attend any social functions or I am out with accquantences/friends not to go overboard and scare people away. Now it makes perfectly sense, especially after reading this story. Wow, I really get it now! Sadly, a friend of ours has a girlfriend who is a therapist and I'm worried she will be able to figure out all of my issues. Then again, it should not matter.

Question: How many posting here with BPD or family with a member of BPD: Do you share the illness with others or not? We have shared some of my other illness' with other family members and a few close friends but with the BPD I am very skeptical about doing due to the severe stigma. Not even what to think of it. Any suggestions/advice? I don't want to upset the apple cart for my husband/children or myself.

Thank you.

Coffeegirl

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I think I accidentally deleted my post here.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No, it's the automatic post merge feature. Your new consecuitive post is merged with your previous post in the same thread (within a specified time period) but you may not see the post until you refresh the page.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.