More threads by Sparrow

Sparrow

Well, here's a creepy sounding topic just in time for Halloween. I came across this side-effect/symptom 2 years ago when I googled the Effexor (Venlafaxine) I was on. Came across it again the other day by accident.
The reason I am posting this now, is for anyone who experiences this, doesn't know what they're feeling, and who is scared. I look forward to Dr. Baxter's reply, thoughts and experiences around it.

You see, I first had these zaps (or whatever) 20 - 25 years ago. I felt embarrassed about it like a freak or something. And very scared like I just might drop dead or something.

Here's how it goes. Basically I'm lying down reading, going to sleep, or half asleep, when I feel what seems like an electric shock (120V) inside my head, head to torso, or head to toetip. My head would feel like it split in half, and I usually would see a very blinding flash, white to silver and it was very painful in my head. Also, I would jerk/jump awake in a knee jerk reaction like getting defibrillated but worse, sometimes hitting my ex-wife awake by accident. I'd also have an instant-presto sweat. Sometimes I would have 2 or 3 episodes in a row But they would all happen in 1 - 2 seconds sometimes 5. When it was over I felt like I was in an afterglow and relaxed but my head would still hurt.

These incidents gradually faded away around 10 years ago, but came back when I was on the Effexor. Through the years, I've brooded enough about epilepsy, restless foot syndrome, or brain tumors. Heck, my mother (paranoid schizophrenic) had shock therapy in the 50's, there's a parallel!

I'm just happy these episodes have faded away. Again, my reason for posting is awareness and to help, especially someone who may be as scared as I once was.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Were you on some sort of medication when they first occurred?

That particular symptom is not uncommon with Paxil, especially during discontinuation but even when taking the medication, probably because of the short half-life. It can also occur with Effexor, for the same reason, although probably less so with the XR (extended release) version, and during discontinuation of Effexor.

Sparrow

"Were you on some sort of medication when they first occurred?"

In the early 80's when they first occurred strongly... Just lots of NSAIDS, some strong muscle relaxants and painkillers (stange names) I forget, chloropromizine, demerol, cortisone, and Chivas Regal.

What with the popularity of Paxil, Effexor, and any similarly based drugs these days, it's bad to hear this side-effect is more common. I thought it was unheard of 4 years ago. Lots to be said about discontinuing this drug as you must taper yourself off of it gradually (I highly recommend that!).

As an aside, had I mentioned my situation to my doctor in the early 80's where I worked, I would have been locked up. At least that's how scared I was then. It was worse than Effexor withdrawal.

Mari

MVP
That particular symptom is not uncommon with Paxil

I was previously prescribed Paxil but it made me feel so ill that I just stopped taking it. I never thought too much about the 'brain shivers or zaps' although they did scare me a bit. I still have them about once a month. They happen just as I am getting sleepy and by morning I have forgotten about it. I would never have thought to mention this to anyone. Should I be concerned? :noidea: Mari

Sparrow

Should I be concerned?

Probably not, my side-effects from Effexor diminished to zero in 2 - 3 months after I stopped taking it, but that was me, everybody else may be different.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"Were you on some sort of medication when they first occurred?"

In the early 80's when they first occurred strongly... Just lots of NSAIDS, some strong muscle relaxants and painkillers (stange names) I forget, chloropromizine, demerol, cortisone, and Chivas Regal.

You can get Chivas Regal by prescription? :panic:

But seriously, some of those drugs you list are very potent. Among other things, hallucinatatory experiences are not uncommon with demerol and similar drugs (ask any nurse on a surgical ward).

What with the popularity of Paxil, Effexor, and any similarly based drugs these days, it's bad to hear this side-effect is more common. I thought it was unheard of 4 years ago. Lots to be said about discontinuing this drug as you must taper yourself off of it gradually (I highly recommend that!).

I'm not saying that it's common with all SSRIs or SNRIs - just Paxil and Effexor (little data yet for Cymbalta because it's quite new in Canada). But it's always a good idea to taper off psychoactive drugs rather then stopping abruptly.

Meggylou

I've been experiencing zaps episodically since I first started on SSRI about ten years ago roughly. It doesn't hurt me. I tend to feel a wee bit nauseous though. I feel as if there is a weird electric, painless current that speeds through my body from my head to my extremeties. It's disconcerting, can be dizzying and also nauseating. I know I've forgotten my pills (I've been on many, zoloft, effexor, paxil, celexa - the latest) when I start feeling this, usually within a day. I also used to have something similar but it felt more along the lines of someone pouring cold water down my back from my head down...that was odd. Hasn't happened since I quit the effexor and zoloft, they were the biggest side effect culprits.

Thank You so much for posting this. I notice mine more when I'm very tired, or if I happen to forget to take my meds. I thought I was the only one who experienced "the head zaps". Its quite hard to explain it to someone else.:)

Thanks again

amastie

I have a friend with derpression and has found that she get these brain zaps whenever she goes off them for any period of time.

I wonder what makes some people experience such side effects and others none at all. I have taken a wide range of meds - including anti-pychotics (never helped), SSRIS (seeming to have had some positive effect for a time but never in the long term) but without exception, it has been, at first Valium and now Xanax which works perfectly to ease all the symptoms of my experience. That's because the root cause of my experience is trauma, and stress, related. I've *never* had any kind of problems going off any of these meds. I must have a very different constitution than my friend. I worry a bit about taking fairly strong dosesn of Xanax each day but my psychistrist is not concerned. She knows my history well.
amastie

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I got those brain zaps a lot when I was on a combination of Risperidal and Effexor XR.

This post just reminded me that I have not had them in quite a while. Which is good. It was a really odd feeling. Mine felt almost like an electrical current running through one side of my head to the other, or down my arm.

carlarox

Ive been on paxil for almost 1 years, have been on 40 milligram for about 6 months. I am having Brain Zaps atleast every other day. And I am not forgetting my medicine. They are REALLY scary to me. It goes through the right side of my head down my neck then down to left fingertips. It has almost gotten to the point where i dont want to get out of bed all day in fear of having them.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Welcome to Psychlinks calarox :)

I'm sorry to hear that you have you're having issues with Paxil. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
:welcome: Please discuss that with your doctor Carlarox. Hopefully they will be able to help you remedy that problem.

I have had them too. They aren't nice, that is for sure.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
:agree:

Ive been on paxil for almost 1 years, have been on 40 milligram for about 6 months. I am having Brain Zaps atleast every other day. And I am not forgetting my medicine. They are REALLY scary to me. It goes through the right side of my head down my neck then down to left fingertips. It has almost gotten to the point where i dont want to get out of bed all day in fear of having them.

Definitely discuss this with your doctor. S/he can help you switch to something else that won't have that effect (basically something similar but with a longer half-life).

These "brain zaps" are by far the worst of the side effects I've experienced on the medications I've taken! For the first several years that I took SSRI's, I would only get them if I missed a dose or if I was actively trying to stop the meds. For the last year or two, though, as my dosages got higher, it started to become a regular thing all the time, though in a fairly mild form.
I'm finally through this last withdrawal process now - I think - and I'm glad the new drug I'm trying will be a tricyclic instead for a change. I'm hoping at least to avoid the same old side effects I'm so tired of, even if I can't avoid all side effects completely! I haven't heard complaints of the brain zaps from tricyclics...

amastie

Hi Charity,

(and welcome to PsychLinks!)

I *do* hope now that the tricyclic will prove to be free completely of that side effect. Will have you in my thougts, wishing that for you :support:

Take good care,

amastie

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.