More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Bullying in the workplace - A little recognized problem
by Dr. Katy Kamkar, Your Health - CTV MedNews Express
January 19, 2011

How often do you hear of bullying in the workplace? Although we often hear of other types of violence in the workplace, workplace bullying is now receiving growing attention and is considered to be a severe social stressor in the workplace.

Workplace bullying is defined as repeated, persistent and continuous negative acts or verbal comments. It involves more than a single act and is generally associated with a power imbalance whereby the victim is unable to defend self and feels inferior.

Bullying can include verbal or physical attacks, hurting, excluding or isolating a person, humiliating or degrading a person or a group of people.

The Ontario Safety Association for Community and Healthcare (OSACH) provides examples of workplace bullying behaviours. These include:
  • isolating someone,
  • rumours,
  • personal attack of a person?s private life or personal attributes,
  • excessive or unjustified criticism,
  • verbal aggression,
  • withholding information,
  • mobbing,
  • abuse,
  • victimization and social undermining,
  • negative physical contact, such as pushing or throwing objects.
You can also find more examples of types of bullying through Canada?s National Centre for Occupational Health and Safety Resource (CCOHS).

Workplace bullying has shown to have various significant negative consequences for employees, employers and organizations.

Various studies have found workplace bullying to be associated with sick leave, absenteeism, interpersonal conflict at work, high turnover rates, poorer customer service, burnout, and decreased morale. Workplace bullying has also been shown to contribute to increased stress, psychosomatic symptoms, decreased well-being, sleep problems, concentration difficulty, feelings of helplessness, anxiety and depression, mood irritability, and musculoskeletal health complaints.

Recent findings have shown that workplace bullying is the strongest contributor to anxiety and depression even when other job stressors are taken into account.

Studies have also shown that not only those who are targets of bullying, but also the observers of bullying, the bystanders, also suffer when a person is bullied at work. Thus, bullying is a problem affecting everyone, the entire work environment.

Here are some helpful resources if you think you are a target of bullying, and also tips for employers and ways to develop anti-bullying strategies and policies:

Thanks for the great post. I have problems with Workplace Bullying years. My mental health has gotten worse at times. Today I was called into the office to see the Human Resource Manager because I come in late most morning. My boss knows I have a sleeping disorder which I am trying some new medication and he know I injure myself to deal with stress. But he has been off sick for last 3 days and when he is away people try to back stab me and have me reported to the front office. I have been working there 27 years this summer and I am #3 on the seniority list of over 300 employees. A few years back when he took time off work to care of his sick wife people were back stabbing me. I was so upset today. I even told the Human Resource Manager I hurt my twice after I left work Monday and ended going to the ER and but that really didn't faze her and she kept on telling I should be in on time and stuff like. I went to Ottawa yesterday to pick up my ODSP papers my psychiatrist filled out and when I read it he really mentioned I bad I emotionally. I want to work but can't work 40 hours a week so I want financial help from ODSP. I asked to have a meeting with the General Manager. I told him lots of stuff and he said they should have waited till my boss was in. I said it because he wasn't here that I called into the office. People back stab me a few years ago when he was off work taking care of his wife.
I have a new family DR and he thinks I should be hospitalized because of my destructive behaviors. I can make more money working then being on unemployment. I am in debt over my head and if I could get from ODSP I might just get back on track. I got a DR note in the summer of 2009 when I came from sick leave saying I can do 8 hours but at time only 6. Well the lady said that was 2 years ago. This person is harassing somebody else who had the call the Human Right people. My boss might be in tomorrow I will have a talk with him he is a good boss

Thanks for letting me vent

Sue

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.