More threads by cm

cm

Hi,
I have been off antidepressants for about 10 weeks or so, after six years of using Zoloft with good success.
Lately, I am starting to feel like trying a different medicine and read that Buspirone may work as an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medicine. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this drug.
cm

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My experience (through clients) has been where it was used for managing anxiety disorders, although at least one of those struggled with depression and SAD as well.

Buspirone ( Buspar )

Buspirone: future directions
by
Apter JT, Allen LA
Princeton Biomedical Research, PA, New Jersey, USA.
J Clin Psychopharmacol 1999 Feb; 19(1):86-93

ABSTRACT
The Food and Drug Administration approved the use of buspirone for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) in 1986. Since then, numerous studies have examined the efficacy and safety of buspirone for patients with not only generalized feelings of anxiety, but also panic disorder, major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, social phobia, posttraumatic stress disorder, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor-induced adverse events, dementia, behavioral disturbances, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, and tobacco dependency. Although relatively few placebo-controlled trials have been conducted on patients with problems other than GAD, an ever-growing body of research suggests future directions for the use of buspirone. This article reviews the body of research relating to new uses for buspirone.
Buspirone (Buspar) Side Effects & Dosage

GENERIC NAME: buspirone
BRAND NAME: Buspar
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Buspirone is an antianxiety medication that works by stimulating serotonin type 1A receptors on nerves thereby altering the chemical messages that nerves transmit to each other. Unlike the most commonly prescribed antianxiety medications of the benzodiazepine class (e.g., diazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam; clonazepam), buspirone does not cause sedation.

PRESCRIPTION: yes

GENERIC AVAILABLE: yes

PREPARATIONS: Tablets (white), ovoid-rectangular in shape: 5mg and 10mg.

STORAGE: Tablets should be kept at room temperature, less than 30°C (86°F).

PRESCRIBED FOR: Buspirone is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders or for the short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety. Buspirone is especially effective in persons with generalized anxiety of a limited or moderate degree. It is not very effective in persons with severe anxiety, panic disorders, or obsessive-compulsive disorders.

DOSING: Unlike antianxiety medications of the benzodiazepine class which are effective after a single dose, effectiveness with buspirone may require two or more weeks of treatment. Buspirone usually is given as three doses daily. The dose may be increased every several days until an effective dose is found. Although food increases the amount of buspirone that is absorbed, the importance of this effect is not clear. Buspirone probably should be taken, therefore, either with or without food on a consistent basis.

More: Buspirone - Google Search

ThatLady

Busperone (Here in the US, its trade name is Buspar) is an anti-anxiety agent. It's supposed to be non-sedative and non-addictive. If your major problem is anxiety, it might be a good thing to try. Talk to your doctor about it. :eek:)

cm

Thanks for the helpful information. I really don't want to go back on an antidepressant, and am hoping that this different kind of medicine might help, if I end up needing something.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I think my emotional health is very gradually moving backwards. I am trying to exercise and keep involved with other healthy activities, but I am starting to see some behaviors in myself that I don't want.
cm

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As I understand it (and I'm certainly not a pharmacologist) Buspar is also a serotonin stimulant and therefore might also help with depression but I don't think it works in the same way as SSRIs.

cm

Well, I think I may give it a try if my mood continues downward, but I'll wait until spring is here and see if I start feeling better.

Are you still seeing a therapist?

I had this memory when I saw your title. There is a period of about 3 or 4 years that I just don't remember much about because of the losses during that time. I think my ob-gyn prescribed this for me, but it was as needed which maybe wasn't correct. I don't remember if I took it or not, but it was for anxiety.

I really do hope you get to feeling better. Going backwards is scary for me.

cm

Thank you for your support.
No, I haven't seen a therapist for a few years. I will probably go back to my G.P. and ask for the prescription, and see how it works.

HA

Hi Cm,

I was about to reply.....yes, I take this one. Then realized it's a completely different drug. I take Bupropion/Wellbutrin SR and I'm wondering if this is the one you maybe were thinking about. It's classified as an antidepressant but I find it also helps with my anxiety. It's a really good medication for for me.

I find a therapist with the medication is better than medication alone. I don't know about your situation but I also needed some objective views into my life. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

cm

Hello everyone,

Well, I went to the drop-in clinic today. The Dr. there is good at working with depressed patients. He suggested that I try EffexorXR for my reoccuring dysthymia, and I started it this morning. I am disappointed that I cannot seem to feel or function as well as I would like to without taking medicine, but overall I'm grateful that we have effective meds that make my life more enjoyable and rewarding. I hope to see some improvements in the next couple of weeks.
cm

cm

Hi,
Well, I've only been on the new medication for a few days, and I have to report that I am already improving in mood and outlook. I know it is supposed to take a couple of weeks to really start working, but for whatever reason, I'm definitely starting to feel better. If this continues, I would like to remind others who are suffering to give medication a chance to help. I don't understand why I would need meds for mental health, but they have definitely proven to be an incredible benefit to my life and those around me. They are actually helping me to feel 'normal' again. Thanks to all of you for your continued support.
cm

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.