More threads by Ftbwgil

Ftbwgil

My father is a sociopath and I stay away from him because he is dangerous. He does not face up to his actions, is never wrong and has a malicious side to him. He is 74 years old and is completely disconnect to what he has done.

My sister in law seems to have the same characteristics. All of the traits of a sociopath and I wonder if following therapy they can be helped. The thing about is that I doubt these people will ever admit to having issues to work on. I suspect these people live in a delusional state and sincerely believe that they are Ok.

Everyone of us is seeing my sister in law plow her way thru life with casualties on all sides and yet she has the persona of grandeur and acts sad momentarily in certain instances to gain sympathy. Then they re terrorize everyone around them. It is almost impossible to live with or endure a sociopath.

Retired

Re: Can a sociopath be helped

The thing about is that I doubt these people will ever admit to having issues to work on. I suspect these people live in a delusional state and sincerely believe that they are Ok.

It would seem your question as to whether they can be helped is moot.

People can only change their behaviour when they recognize they have an issue, accept their deficiency and commit to modif y their thinking and behaviour through professional intervention.

You cannot change another person's behaviour, only your own....the best you can do is give them the information, and leave it up to them to act on it.

From your description of the situation, your best advice might be to walk away fro these people and focus on your own life while developing new

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Re: Can a sociopath be helped

Not sure on the answer to your question ftwbgil, but I just wanted to say I am sorry for this situation in your family. Hugs to you and I am glad you are protecting yourself from harm. xo

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My father is a sociopath and I stay away from him because he is dangerous. He does not face up to his actions, is never wrong and has a malicious side to him. He is 74 years old and is completely disconnect to what he has done.

My sister in law seems to have the same characteristics. All of the traits of a sociopath and I wonder if following therapy they can be helped. The thing about is that I doubt these people will ever admit to having issues to work on. I suspect these people live in a delusional state and sincerely believe that they are Ok.

Everyone of us is seeing my sister in law plow her way thru life with casualties on all sides and yet she has the persona of grandeur and acts sad momentarily in certain instances to gain sympathy. Then they re terrorize everyone around them. It is almost impossible to live with or endure a sociopath.

How do you know they are sociopaths?

Ftbwgil

I looked at all of the traits that are listed to confirm a sociopathic behavior and they exhibit every single trait to the max. But I am not in a position to diagnose.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I looked at all of the traits that are listed to confirm a sociopathic behavior and they exhibit every single trait to the max. But I am not in a position to diagnose.

That's correct. Diagnosis is not just about looking at a checklist of symptoms. The tricky part is differential diagnosis which is about ruling out other diagnoses or causes of the symptoms, and that takes considerable knowledge, training, and experience.

Ftbwgil

Thank you for your response . The biggest trait of these 2 people is that they behave in a way which has no consequences for them as they are oblivious to the harm they do. They have no sense of morality and will orchestrate situations to gain themselves whatever the consequence to those around them. They are very intelligent charismatic and very bullish and controling in a social setting. They are the life of the party and impress constantly. They only take and do not trust. They feel threatened when people in their surrounding have potential. They cannot love and will often express feelings of emotional outburst when seeking sympathy. Its always all about them.

Thank you for your feedback, And yes i have decided to stay away from these people as there are many other wonderfull persons around who bring joy and happiness

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thank you for your response . The biggest trait of these 2 people is that they behave in a way which has no consequences for them as they are oblivious to the harm they do. They have no sense of morality and will orchestrate situations to gain themselves whatever the consequence to those around them. They are very intelligent charismatic and very bullish and controling in a social setting. They are the life of the party and impress constantly. They only take and do not trust. They feel threatened when people in their surrounding have potential. They cannot love and will often express feelings of emotional outburst when seeking sympathy. Its always all about them.

There are other diagnoses that might fit that thumbnail, but in any case we prefer that members describe themselves or others in terms of symptoms or traits rather than diagnoses, unless the person has been specifically diagnosed by a physician or psychiatrist or psychologist who have the legal authority to diagnose. We do not diagnose online at Psychlinks and we strongly discourage others from doing so.

I was talking to my therapist about personality disorders and he told me something I did not know. People are rarely diagnosed (maybe after imprisonment) with personality disorders because health insurance in the states will not cover the treatment. He said that was because personality disorders are considered incurable. (treatable, but not curable)

Is that true? Seems like if that were the case they would not pay for treatment for cancer?

Ftbwgil,

It sounds to me like you are saying they have difficulty in or are unwilling to empathize with others especially when in a position to gain. That type of behavior is difficult to deal with even more so when it's a family member as familial obligations require at least some interaction passively or actively.

My suggestion is creating a firm set of boundaries for your interactions with them. For example if they are if they are provocative, manipulative or insulting try to limit the amount of details you reveal if you talk to them.
Behaviour that shows deliberate deception and a lack of empathy, a common type of self centered behaviour is frustrating to endure and witness when it involves people we care for.

The hardest thing I've found in dealing with my own parents lack of empathy is the emotions left in their wake and the consequences they will not face. It can be very destructive having that level of unresolved conflict within any relationship but especially family. It can breed further conflicts fracturing families with divisive conflicts and vindictive resentment.

It can be very draining sifting through the conflicting emotions to interact with someone who may have hurt you with callous disregard because even though in their own way they love you as you do them, they still hurt you.

Making peace with how you feel towards the person vs their actions is the best advice I can give for that and for me that took therapy and a lot of work well worth the effort.

Ftbwgil

Thank you for your suggesstions and I am slowly working my way through this process. I have set boundaries and am slowly starting to feel compassion and not anger. I have to work at that a lot. recently my sister was diagnosed with cancer and my father had sexually abused my sister actually both of them . This brought out all sorts of anger and 1 year later I am starting to be better. Thank you for your message of hope:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.