More threads by LittleVoice

LittleVoice

Account Closed
My boyfriend split up with me a month ago, he maintains that he still loves me and we have talked regularly since. I am not planning on any reconciliation but care about him deeply and am maintaining a friendship with him.

I have been trying to get closure on some of the issues in the relationship. During a long conversation last night we were talking about the suppression of some of his feelings as I felt that perhaps I hadn’t encouraged him enough. We had talked about this quite a few times since splitting up as he said that was part of the reason for the split.

After talking about him feeling disconnected with people he then admitted to me that he thinks he is a sociopath.I didn’t really know what this meant and googled it. I am so confused now. He has ensured me that he felt strong love for me, that he felt sparks in his head, that it made him change his behaviour, that he would sacrifice his safety etc for me, how much he would hate seeing me upset, he felt protective over me, feel guilty if I was upset with him for any reason, he would spend hours talking through things with me if I had things in my life that were up setting me, he had so much patience, never demanding, always gentle, he said he was insecure but never really showed it, he was attentive, would care for me and be nurturing when I was sick and seemed entirely selfless, loyal loving. - almost to the point where he was a doormat. We were very frank in our discussions and I believe that he did not cheat on me or deceive me at any point and he reiterated that he couldn’t due to the amount he cared for me. I don’t think this is me being na?ve, I spent 2 years with him and have been a friend for a year before that, have seen him when he was tired ill etc and never saw him falter once. I only saw him angry a couple of times briefly. He had tremendous self control and I think a lot of him. He seemed to genuinely want to be with me and on the phone last night he said he involuntary smiled when I was talking about the fact that he said he wanted children with me. He said that must mean that he meant it.

From what I have read on the internet, our relationship does not seem to fit with the sorts of relationships that sociopaths have. I think since he has diagnosed himself he has felt everything is a self fulfilling prophecy and he just gives up on things, including me. When describing what he meant he said that he can feel the big stuff like love and to certain extent fear but doesn’t grieve if someone dies, he said he thinks he could kill someone without remorse, that he cares about his family but doesn’t think he loves them, He will deceive people and not feel bad.He says that he trusts me more than anyone and can’t believe that he told me those things. He says he thinks he manages it because both of his parents are psychologists so he has a great awareness of concepts due to discussions with them throughout growing up and also he feels that his IQ (I think it’s 148 or something) enables to perhaps make him able to manage it in a certain way that allows him to manage it. He has a terribly sad and traumatic passed of bullying throughout school for around 12 years- it was sustained physical and mental abuse. His mother took him out of one school only for the same to happen in the next, He internalised and never told his family the extent of the suffering and abuse. During his teens everything came out as violence and crime etc with getting into a gang , but never got caught for anything. He says he has learnt to say things through the patterns of speech etc on TV. His future plans involve living in a caste and living forever.I asked him if he grieved for me and he said he missed me a great deal. He only has ever cried at TV. He says his greatest (over grandparents etc) loss was a cat he had He does seem to regret these years and who he was back then. He doesn’t realise when he is depressed, he says that he just sort of comes around a few weeks later unkempt and then realises he must be depressed. He isolates himself very easily.He says when he was depressed 3 years ago he saw a therapist who wanted to do a personality disorder test on him but he refused and he said that he had otherwise it would be ‘on his record’When he told me about the extent of his trauma when we first started going out I put him in touch with a therapist, he told her a lot about the bullying she got a hypnotherapist in, he let a lot of anger out, but he says now he didn’t tell her everything. I am angry at his parents for not noticing and helping when he was younger. He really wrestles with all this, he has such an awful life I feel he deserves to be happy.

Do you think he is a sociopath? Is it really true that he will never change? Will he never be able to settle down with someone? Are people ever happy that are this way? Should I continue to stick by him? I would like to. He is only 22, isn't there scope for growing up generally?

Hi we cannot diagnose here hun only a professional who sees your boyfriend and talk to him get a history can do that If your bf is concerned he should make an appt with his gp and get a referral to see a psychiatrist This way you both will get the answers you need and your bf will get the help he needs to keep stable hugs

locrian

Hi,

It's clear from reading your post that you have strong feelings for your boyfriend, and you want the best for him. But I would suggest that you're not responsible for his mental health. It's important to keep a healthy sense of your boundaries. Certainly you can encourage him to seek out professional help. But it's not your job to fix him, or anyone else that you become romantically involved with.

I think that what's most important is that you don't lose your sense of self when getting involved with someone else's problems. You might want to read Robin Norwood's Women Who Love Too Much.

Timber

He says when he was depressed 3 years ago he saw a therapist who wanted to do a personality disorder test on him but he refused and he said that he had otherwise it would be ‘on his record’

There are rules of confidentiality that a therapist must follow. Civilly, there are limited instances where his test would be necessary for court, most likely instance is if he is suing someone or for an evaluation performed for a child custody case. Criminally, he has the right to decline any testing until he has the consult of a lawyer. If a court order is issued, he has to take the test or records be released. A good ethical therapist would only release records absolutely necessary to address the issue the court is trying to address. If he is a defendant claiming mental defect as defense, a forensic evaluation (which includes many assessments) has to be done anyway. There is basically no confidentiality then (rules of discovery). The only confidentiality is if the defense lawyer has the evaluation done to determine whether a mental defect defense is plausible and decides not to use the defense. The confidentiality falls under attorney-client confidentiality. In the U.S. anyway. :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Additionally, the available tests for evaluating personality disorders have validity issues that could easily be challenged in court should the necessity arise.

Anyone who needs to rely on a psychometric test to diagnose a personality disorder probably shouldn't be diagnosing personality disorders.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.