More threads by Retired

Retired

Can Aspirin Cause Hearing Loss?
Anthony L. Komaroff, M.D., Editor in Chief, Harvard Health Letter
Harvard Medical School Healthbeat

Q. I am 85 and have taken an 81-mg aspirin each day for decades for heart attack prevention. Recently, I noticed these words on the label: “Stop using if you get ringing in your ears or loss of hearing.” Should I be worried?

A. In a word, no.

In the body, aspirin gets converted into a chemical called salicylic acid, so the side effect that the label is referring to is sometimes called salicylism, or more simply, aspirin poisoning. Very high levels of aspirin in the blood can have toxic effects. Tinnitus — a ringing or whistling noise in the ear — and hearing loss are among them. But there’s no risk of that happening at an 81-mg dose.

People have been taking aspirin for more than a century, and I think it’s still the most widely used medicine. Like you, many people take small doses daily for cardiovascular health. But large doses used to be prescribed much more often, partly because we didn’t have nearly as many other medications to choose from. Doctors have also learned that many drugs, including aspirin, work just as well at lower doses as at higher ones, and — no surprise — lower doses are often associated with fewer side effects.

Aspirin for rheumatoid arthritis, an inflammatory condition that damages joints, is an example of what I am talking about. Today, if someone with rheumatoid arthritis is treated with medication, there are several choices among the disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, or DMARDs. But when I was in medical school, aspirin doses of 1,500 milligrams (mg) a day or more were often prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis. Taking that much aspirin on a daily basis can have toxic effects, including tinnitus, and I saw cases of salicylism early in my medical career.

Your 81-mg dose is about one-twentieth of 1,500 mg. You really don’t have to worry about salicylism. The evidence for cardiovascular protection from small, regular doses of aspirin is solid. So congratulations on reaching 85, and I think there’s a good chance that your aspirin habit might have helped you get there.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Like you, many people take small doses daily for cardiovascular health.
Which still may not be worth the risk:

"For those who do not have heart and circulatory disease the risk of serious bleeding outweighs the potential preventative benefits of taking aspirin.

"We advise people not to take aspirin daily, unless they check with their doctor.

"The best way to reduce your risk of developing this disease is to avoid smoking, eat a diet low in saturated fat and rich in fruit and vegetables and take regular physical activity."

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/medicine...94-daily-aspirin-only-for-heart-patients.html

Retired

Daniel,

I'm not sure the literature can support a blanket statement against the use of low dose aspirin to prevent complications from cardiovascular disease or cerbrovascular disease. I believe, from my understanding, that risk of gastro intestinal bleeding is outweighed by the benefits of reduced mortality in those taking low dose aspirin.

It seems to be an issue debated by experts and is likely a battle of the literature.

My family has made the decision to take daily low dose aspirin (81 mg), with the support of our doctors. We stop the aspirin before dentist visits and certain diagnostic tests that might involve loss of blood, such as colonoscopy.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I must say the animal/vet studies involving aspirin and dogs are scary regarding GI bleeding. Granted, they are at a high dose, but within days the dogs can get noticeable changes to their GI lining even if the aspirin is buffered. So I wouldn't even give my dog buffered aspirin for more than a week.

And if one then argues the dose we are talking about is just 81 mg, that may not be enough, anyway:

Aspirin for the Primary Prevention of Stroke and Myocardial Infarction: Ineffective or Wrong Dose?

Retired

I'll bet that as one ages, their perspective and perception of benefits and risks changes. Seeing contemporaries hospitalized and passing away with heart attack and stroke changes attitudes toward using an adjunct like low dose aspirin, making it seem more attractive.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It may change one's perspective, but it doesn't change the facts :) And I'm not talking about people like my grandfather who already have heart disease.

This was just posted one hour ago:

In a separate analysis, published in medical journal Lancet last May, an international group of scientists reached a broadly similar conclusion as did the U.S. task force—that doctors may have been recommending aspirin too widely. "You really have to have a clear margin of benefit over hazard before you should be treating healthy people," says Colin Baigent, a professor at Oxford University who coordinated the Lancet analysis.

The Danger of Taking Aspirin Daily - WSJ.com

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.