More threads by making_art

making_art

Choosing a Therapist
CAMH
Dec 16, 2011

Psychotherapists are mental health professionals who use "talking therapy" or counselling to help people with things such as self-esteem, changing beliefs and ways of thinking, communication and relationship skills and working through difficult issues from the past. People generally see psychotherapists when their problems affect their day-to-day living. These problems may be negatively influencing their work or school, their relationships and their ability to enjoy life. A psychotherapist can offer support, help you better understand your problems and help you learn new ways of coping.

If you're looking for a therapist, you can ask:

• your family doctor
  • a nurse
  • a community mental health worker
  • a social work or outpatient psychiatric department of a hospital
  • an employee (and family) assistance program through your work
  • a religious or spiritual leader or organization
  • a community information centre
  • a social service agency (e.g., mental health association) or
  • a self-help group.
Often the best way to find a therapist is to get a recommendation from a friend, family member or a health care provider whose opinion you respect. When you do get referrals, try to get more than one at a time, and get on several waiting lists, if necessary.

Question:
How can talking to a therapist help me deal with my problems? Isn't it just as good to talk to a friend whom I already trust?
Answer: In some cases, speaking to a friend who will listen and be supportive may be enough. However, if your problem persists, it may be helpful to speak to someone who isn't connected to your life--someone who can offer a safe and neutral point of view. Therapists offer the advantage of being trained and having practice talking in ways that have proven helpful.

Interviewing a therapist
Don't be afraid to ask therapists questions to find out if you are comfortable with their style and approach. Below are some sample questions.

• What educational and professional training do you have?
  • How many years of experience do you have working as a therapist?
  • Do you have specific training or experience working with my particular issue (e.g., trauma, divorce, childhood sexual abuse)?
  • What is your approach to therapy for my specific problem?
  • Are you a member of an association or professional organization?
You may want to consider whether you want a therapist of the same gender, sexual orientation or ethnic background as you. There may also be other characteristics that you want your therapist to have in common with you, or to at least be sensitive to (e.g., issues of race, culture, age) or other factors that you see as important to your identity and way of viewing the world. As well, it's a good idea to find out how many sessions the therapist will provide and how much the therapy will cost. (See: How much will therapy cost?)

Question: What if I'm not comfortable with my therapist or with how the therapy is working?
Answer: A trusting relationship between you and the therapist is key to successful therapy. If you are feeling uncomfortable with your therapist, it's possible that your personalities may not be the right fit. Or the therapist may be offering a form of therapy that is not useful to you. However, it's equally possible that your discomfort could be related to bringing a difficult issue out into the open or the anxiety of speaking to someone new.

To determine the source of your discomfort, it's important to discuss your concerns with your therapist. If you have had therapy before, it's also useful to tell your therapist what worked and what didn't work with other therapists. This will give your new therapist an idea of what you want from the therapy and if he or she can provide it.

But don't stick around in therapy if it's not working. You can fire your therapist! But if you do, make sure that there is someone else who will be able to see you. Your therapist may be able to refer you to another therapist.

Note: It is not ethical for a therapist to see you outside of therapy. It is not right for the therapist to be your friend or for you to end up giving therapy to the therapist! And it is WRONG for a therapist to make any type of sexual comments or to behave sexually. If you have any concerns about your therapist, call his or her governing or regulatory college and tell them what happened.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.