More threads by Retired

Retired

Does the Holiday Season cause stress in your home, or have you figured out a way to manage all the comings and goings of adults, children, perhaps pets, toys, food, gifts....

Anyone currently dealing with an anxiety disorder, seasonal affect disorder, depression or any other mood or stress realted ilness or disorder may find all the hyper-energetic activity a bit overwhelming.

What strategies have you implemented that might be of help to other Pdychlinks members to keep the lid on the Holiday activities with the emphasis on maintaing control over ones current condition that might be receiving therapy.

If you have just begun a course of new medication, and you are just adapting to the changes the medication might be causing in your systen plus you are adjusting to possible side effects, you need some time out from all the chatter and excitement,

Share your plans and strategies for dealing with Holiday Activity, while trying to be gracious to guests and maintain control over your own medical issues and perhaps therapies, all at the same time.

Andy

MVP
Personally I am not around many people during the holiday season. I have GAD et al and I am anxious even at home alone so around the small amount of people I am around I still get stressed to the max because I don't know them well.

I find taking trips to the washroom to just get a little time away from all the hoopla helps a bit. Just to stop all the noise going on around me and in my head. Obviously not a lot of trips or questions come my way. lol

Water. A glass of cold water actually helps a lot. For me it just kind of calms me a bit.

Now I'll say alcohol, lol BUT I'm talking about moderate drinking and *if your on medications, especially if you have just started them you probably shouldn't be drinking at all.* If you know how you respond to alcohol on your medications and it's all good then personally a glass of wine always mellows me out a bit.

These are things that have worked for me, they may or may not work for others.

Personally if it was people I didn't know or large amounts of people I would not even go if I had the choice. I wouldn't recommend doing that though because getting out into those kinds of situations may help you slowly feel more comfortable in them. I know, hypocritical but whatever. :)

Oh yes. BREATHE. Slow deep breaths. Something that works for me in most situations. Maybe not completely but enough.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I place limits on what I expect of me. And I finally let others know what I can or cannot do - oh my the word " No" has entered my vocabulary! This year I am taking a trip and avoiding most of the Christmas madness.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Regarding meals, my mom is making it easier on herself by making pizza for Christmas. And the appetizers are from Sam's Club (the warehouse version of Walmart) since it took hours to make the appetizers for Thanksgiving.

Retired

my mom is making it easier on herself by making pizza for Christmas

Mom could make the pizza in the shape of a Xmas tree with decorations of strips of green pepper for the branches, cherry tomatoes for the Xmas balls with mozzarella as the snow covering? A litlle clump of anchovies at the top could be fashioned into a star or even an angel with a bit of creativity!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.