More threads by binsel

binsel

Hello,

I started cipralex 5mg 8 days ago. After the 3rd day, all family members got a nasty flu. I have been regularly using Cipralex + Lorazepam + Tylenol in the last 4 days. I dont feel like I am getting any better.
Since cipralex day one, I am waking up with an headache at 3am (unless I take tylenol before go to bed) and cant sleep till 7am. I take cipralex 10pm before I go to bed.
Should I just continue? I was planning to increase cip. to 10mg after first week but maybe I should wait for flu gone first.

Thanks,

Burhan

Andy

MVP
I think your best bet would to be to follow the directions that your doctor prescribed to you. You may very well have the flu but also keep in mind that Cipralex and many other medications side effects can actually mimic the signs of flu until your body gets use to the medication. You may be experiencing flu symptoms or just beginner side effects. At any rate it's best you follow your doctors orders and if your unsure about increasing the dosage because of the way you are physically feeling then talk to your doctor about prolonging the time period before you do.

Good luck Burhan!:)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Are you taking it for anxiety? I assume so given that you are also on a benzo.

One possibility is that your concerns may be more like worries. In other words, people with anxiety are sometimes anxious about their anti-anxiety medication.

In any case, I would keep in mind that Cipralex, a.k.a. Lexapro, is one of the most well-tolerated SSRIs, with millions of North Americans having been on it:

First Top 10 List for Antidepressants - ABC News

binsel

Are you taking it for anxiety?

Yes, I am taking it for GAD. I delayed taking Cipralex over a painful year, tried almost all other alternatives (except CBT - just cant afford). Last few weeks, I was taking ativan daily base.
It's strange that I dont get flu frequently, maybe once in 5-10 years. I get cold.
I can get myself an anxiety attack just by reading posts about Cipralex side effects :)

Thank you,

Burhan

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

You may very well have the flu but also keep in mind that Cipralex and many other medications side effects can actually mimic the signs of flu until your body gets use to the medication. You may be experiencing flu symptoms or just beginner side effects.

Can an SSRI cause fever (39.5 C) in the first weeks?

Retired

Can an SSRI cause fever

Although rare, elevated temperature has been reported as an adverse reaction to escitalopram*. The Tylenol (acetaminophen) usually reduces temperature, so you would be well advised to call the doctor and explain your situation.

It might be your elevated temperature might be due to the flu or cold and your body's natural defence has raised your temperature.

In any case dosages of all your medications should not be modified without your doctor's approval, which icludes the amount of Tylenol (acetaminophen) you take because although it's safe when taken as directed, acetaminophen overdose can be dangerous.

*Canadian Product Monograph escitalopram Cipralex

binsel

All I can see quickly is a GP at a walkin clinic. I might be wrong, but they dont seem to be very knowledgeable about SSRI side effects. Is there a Psychiatrist I can see in a few days?

Thanks,

Burhan

Retired

Walk in clinics are intended as a substitute for minor medical issues that may not require emergency care, but provide immediate consultation for minor injuries or medical conditions. The physicians working there don't usually provide long term follow up care, so you may not get the kind of information you need in your situation.

Your GP may be a good place to start, if that doctor has been seeing you for a while and has your medical history. Most GP's should be able to advise you on issues with SSRI prescriptions.

If you need a referral to a psychiatrist, the GP would certainly be the one to provide you with one.

Who was the doctor who prescribed the Cipralex/Ativan (lorazepam) combination?

Is there a Psychiatrist I can see in a few days?

The only way I know of to be seen by a psychiatrist quickly is through the emergency department of your hospital, if they deem your emergency to be of a psychiatric nature.

My opinion would be to book an appointment with your GP, explain your situation and ask for advice, and if you need a referral to a psychiatrist, get one at that time.

Retired

Chances are your family doctor may have made arrangements with another physician to care for her patients, and doctors usually arrange with a doctor whose style is similar to theirs in their substitute.

Is there someone substituting for your doctor that you can call for an appointment?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.