More threads by CKYMargera00

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I hate the term codependency, personally. I think too often it's used to describe the efforts of caring people to help a loved one who doesn't want to be helped. The net effect is to pathologize the behavior of the person attempting to help, when the reality is that it is the behavior of the one who needs that help but rejects or manipulates it that is pathological.

ladylore

Account Closed
I hate the term codependency, personally. I think too often it's used to describe the efforts of caring people to help a loved one who doesn't want to be helped. The net effect is to pathologize the behavior of the person attempting to help, when the reality is that it is the behavior of the one who needs that help but rejects or manipulates it that is pathological.

I've never thought of it that way before. And :agree:

ShyLady

I agree to. Sometimes, though, its used for people who are unable to leave a relationship because they are afraid of being alone. Isn't that another way of calling someone co-dependant? This is what I've always believed, was I right or did I mistake it all somehow? I'm not really sure, cause I did just pick up the idea on my own.

lallieth

If you are trying to help someone but are also enabling the other person with their addiction etc..does that make you co-dependent?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Possibly but not necessarily.

Think of this scenario: One of your children is overusing/abusing alcohol or pot. You are trying to be supportive in assisting your child/teen/young adult in getting better control over that issue. Are you enabling if you don't give that child an ultimatum and kick him/her out of the house if s/he doesn't comply more-or-less immediately? There are some who would answer "Yes" to this question on the grounds that anything other than zero tolerance is enabling. I don't agree.

ladylore

Account Closed
Around addiction its more about setting boundaries. For example not lending money or the car at such and such a time....

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.