More threads by making_art

making_art

Coming to the Shelter
Calgary Womens Emergency Shelter Jan 7, 2012

What do I have to bring to the Shelter?
You don't need anything but yourself and your children.

Is there a cost?
The Shelter and all our programs are provided free of charge.

How long can I stay at the Shelter?
The maximum stay at the Shelter is 21-days. Counsellors will help you find housing and community help to make the change to your new life.

Is the Shelter a safe place to take children.
Around half of our Shelter residents are children. Our child and youth program is fun, safe and children love it. Check out the pictures on the Shelter Tour.

What is provided at the Shelter?
Blankets, food, toiletries and toys are provided. Basics such as a change of clothing and pyjamas are supplied if you don't have them.

Will I have to share a room?
Women with children have a room to themselves. Single women typically share a room with other single women.

What can I bring with me?
If you have time to pack, or want to plan ahead, see our safety plan for what to bring when you leave.

Should I bring my children?
Many lawyers recommend bringing your children with you due to custody issues. Call the Family Violence Helpline if you want to discuss this further.

Will I be safe at the Shelter?
The Shelter has security features to keep families and staff safe. If anyone calls looking for you we do not tell him or her you are a client unless we have your consent to do so or the law requires we do.

How do I get to the Shelter if I don't have a car?
Depending on your situation, we can send a cab or you can come by bus. If the police are involved they may bring you as well.

Do you have space?
We can house up to 40 people in 16 bedrooms. Please call the Family Violence Helpline to check if we have space. If we don't, we will help you find a safe place.

What will happen when I come in?
A counselor will meet with you when you arrive. You will spend about an hour filling out forms and sharing the basics about your situation so we can learn about your need for support. The counsellor will give you a tour of the shelter and let you get settled into your room.

Can people come and go?
Yes. There is a curfew in the evenings to help with safety unless the woman is working or out of the shelter for medical reasons.

Can I still go to work/school/appointments/friends?
Yes. We can provide taxi vouchers or bus tickets for appointments.

Is there childcare?
Yes, but currently only while the mother is in the Shelter building.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.