More threads by rdonovan1

rdonovan1

I apologize if I might sound ignorant on all of this, so I hope that you will understand that I am trying to understand all of this much better.

I also don't know if this matters at all, but due to a childhood in which both my mother was verbally and emotionally abusive and an absent father I have been doing a lot of studying relating to such topics.

I consider myself to be a christian and over the years due to both my involvement with the martial arts and with the hypnotic patterns of NLP and Dr. Milton Erickson I have been studying both my past and what is known as the art of seduction and attraction, but instead of being understood I have been attacked by people who have attempted to ridicule and humilate me based upon my beliefs as a christian and based upon what they think that they know about psychology and for some reason they seem to have a problem with positive thinking.

How does one go about defending themselves against claims of mental illness and unethical behavior when they don't understand or even seem to care that everything that I have been studying has been geared towards overcomming all of the negative aspects of my childhood, while at the same time learning how to present myself better and to create better business and social relationships by studying all of this stuff.

I don't know if anyone has ever read Dr. Richard Bandler's book 'Using your brain for a change', but when I read it I thought it was very interesting because in one section of that book Dr. Bandler described an incident in which a group of healthy, happy college students had checked themselves into a psychiatric hospital as an experiement and all of them had difficulties getting out because they were all diagnosed as having severe psychological problems.

I have tried to study psychology, NLP, the enneagram, and other related topics trying to improve myself and lately I have been attempting to read some books on verbal self defense and I have also been trying to get reinvolved in the martial arts.

Maybe I am going about things the wrong way, but one thing that I have been taught and that I have read is that most people tend to think negatively.

Am I doing something wrong in my approach and if so is there something that I could be doing better? I ask this because according to NLP most people tend to think negatively and based upon what I have read in a book about abnormal psychology and in books about the enneagram as well as what I have experienced personally I have come to the conclusion that what they are saying is true, but so far I have not been able to figure out as to how to overcome it without the use of hypnosis and the patterns of Dr. Milton Erickson.

If anyone might have some suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong and as to how I can improve without giving up my religious beliefs then I would greatly appreciate it. All that I am trying to do is to balance things out and to polish things up so that things tend to flow much more naturally because from what I have learned congruence is important and that is what I am attempting to achieve.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Re: Psychology and religion

Hi RDonovan,

Don't apologize for expressing an opinion - it's the dialogue that allows us to dig deeper and think about these issues. So opinions and dialogue are always welcome here.

How does one go about defending themselves against claims of mental illness and unethical behavior when they don't understand or even seem to care that everything that I have been studying has been geared towards overcomming all of the negative aspects of my childhood, while at the same time learning how to present myself better and to create better business and social relationships by studying all of this stuff.

Sometimes, you have to simply be quiet. There will be times in our lives when people are never going to see our perspectives. Our lives, our interests are shaped by our own personal experiences. This makes our interests very personal and, in my books, you never have to apologize for that.

I believe that religion or spirituality can exist in the same world as psychology. In fact, for some of us, our belief systems assist us in our work through psychology (therapy). I believe that they only become incompatible when religion starts to impose certain rules about medical dos and don'ts.

Having said all this, I think your question is really interesting. In that vein, I'm going to split your post so that more people will see. You're more likely to get responses that way.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.