More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Cruise Learns the Hard Way, Stigmatize Psychiatry and Mental Health at Your Own Risk
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mental health blogger Liz Spikol over at The Trouble with Spikol returned from vacation with a great post this morning about Tom Cruise's departure from Paramount. Mr. Cruise has been an outspoken opponent of psychopharmacology and has slandered depression treatment and psychiatry in favor of his own beliefs. Paramount announced the end of their 14-year partnership, reportedly telling the Wall Street Journal: "As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal. His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

Last year, Cruise publicly denounced Brooke Shields's use of medication to treat her post-partum depression. He then went on the show Today, and proceeded to lecture host Matt Lauer about mental health issues, telling him: "Here's the problem. You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do." (He's also been involved in something of a bizarre relationship, but that is neither here nor there.)

The reactions to this incident were swift and resounding, and now it appears that Paramount has grown tired of trying to promote movies around Cruise's personal vendetta against psychiatry and mental health medications. As Spikol points out, for those of us concerned with issues in mental health and the stigma attached to depression and other diseases, this move should serve as a friendly reminder of how far we've come. Paramount has shown that criticism of psychiatry and treatments that use medications. As Spikol says, "The pendulum is swinging in a different direction now."

They're playing it up on the telly, that he's been fired because of how open he is in his beliefs in Scientology. (which I guess has something to do with his beliefs about psychiatry) but that is bad news for paramount if the media is taking the 'religion' slant. Could turn out badly for them in the long run.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Cruise Learns the Hard Way, Stigmatize Psychiatry and Mental Health at Your Own Risk

That's crap. He's not been dumped because of his religious beliefs. He's been dumped for taking up time on his War of the Worlds promotion tour to insult and offend millions of people who happen to have different beliefs. He might as well have jumped up on the couch and made anti-Semitic remarks.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Cruise Learns the Hard Way, Stigmatize Psychiatry and Mental Health at Your Own Risk

You are certainly allowed to post that, BBC. I think he's an arrogant and ignorant egotist, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

foghlaim

maybe david could invite cruise onto these boards for a debate.... now that!! would be something!!!

cruise must have thought he could continue to cruise along with no consequences cause he a star!! this must be a right kick up the **** for him and he deserves no less!!

ThatLady

Heh. The opportunity to debate with Tom Cruise, who has the intellect of your average soapstone, isn't exactly an invitiation to the event of the century. The man is incredibly stupid. I don't know how he's gotten anyone to even care what he has to say. Personally, I find him worth studiously ignoring, and that's about it.:yuk:

Holly

Hi bbc,
Your welcome, lol hope Doc likes it also!

HA

Boycotting does make a difference!

This is promising for the future of stigma and knowledge about mental illness! :cool:
I am so happy to hear this news!

Cheers

Cruise keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper. Maybe he is hoping to find China? HEHE! He couldn't sue himself out of a paper bag. LOL!

foghlaim

China??? :) :) :) maybe australia even!! but i think they'd all send him back!!! heh heh.

Comfortzone... what's up with your signature line??

Australia would work too!

I thought I fixed it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.