More threads by Retired

Retired

One of my hobbies is to collect recorded music and to discover artists I have not previously heard of.

One such discovery was Susannah McCorkle who can be be described as a sultry torch singer.

Her talent and enthusiasm comes through the moment you hear the first few bars of any of her recordings.

Susannah was 55 in 2001 when she jumped from the 16th floor of her apartment building to her death.

According to reports, Susannah was an artist who gave all her energy to her performances, but in private was constantly battling depression.

"I've been having a really rough time," she wrote in a rare confession via e-mail to a friend shortly before her death. "Total loss of confidence in self, book, music, etc. Not that I ever had much . . . Feeling totally immobilized. Can't even listen to music, except classical. Avoiding people so word won't get around how down I am."

From a newspaper article in 2001:

Susannah McCorkle, the sultry voiced pop-jazz singer who brought a rare literary refinement to popular standards, was found dead outside her apartment at 41 West 86th Street early yesterday morning. She was 55.

She had apparently jumped to her death, the police said. She had left a suicide note, but the police would not reveal its contents. In her apartment, the singer had left a will, along with detailed instructions about disposition of her estate....

I share this story for a couple of reasons.

It came as a surprise and a shock to me as I researched the biography of this new artist I discovered, because although I new she had died prematurely, I did not think it was a suicide, based on the outward appearances of her work.

Her story emphasizes that when someone we know appears troubled, they may be sending out signals for help. These signals may not be overtly clear, and may be subtle, but nevertheless a person contemplating suicide may be asking for help.

They should be pointed to a resource that can help them

Apparently Susannah's friends did not pick up on her signals, according to reports.

Her recording "Something To Live For", in retrospect, is especially ominous.

If you have the opportunity to hear any of this lady's great music, I would encourage you to do so.

This Google Search and especially the first four listings are especially informative about this artist's wonderful life and tragic death.

Was there another artist's untimely and tragic death that moved you in a profound manner as this one has me?

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.