More threads by sunflower

sunflower

Hello
I am very new here. i came here because my brother died in January. I thought the death would not have as huge impact as it has had. He was the very best of my family. Caring wonderful father and husband. I am not convinced that his wife will ever recover. Sometimes people just do not recover. I think she may be one of those rare people.

But my brother helped people in my family. Because he was the most stable and kind amongst us. Mother and the other sibling are both abusive. I live a life as an agoraphobic. I am not particularly abusive. But am not able to fend for myself. For many reasons. My mother and surviving brother are quite cruel to each other. She is 91. And just lost her son, So anyone being mean to her upsets me to my core. She is powerful and has tons of friends. But her remaining son and his wife are reactive and mean to her. Yes she provokes. But they have a choice how they want to react. They chose cruelty the whole way.

The surviving brother informed me yesterday that he has permenantly stopped talking to my mother. The decision was not an easy one, he said. And he came to the decision that he had had enough of her. I was crushed. How can any rational thinking adult do that to a 91 year old mother whose son just died. I do not care how obnoxious she is. She gave a lot. And now she needs people more than ever. So he takes a hike, so to speak.

My mother does not have much longer to live. I do not want to see that time made shorter because my abusive brother has taken this action. And even before he took this action, he was really so mean to her. I am personally quite afraid of him. His words are mighty weapons. And I have no one to talk with about it in real life. My aunt is now obsessing on saying mean things about my mother all the time. Pointing out constantly how much better she is than my mother.

Doesnt anyone get it? The woman is suffering. I do not care if she hides it. why do people not see beyond the surface? How can they be so uninsightful? I am the mentally ill one. I am the one who cannot function. I am the one on disability. And yet I can at least have compassion and caring. I feel crushed and so deeply upset.

I cannot be alone with my mother. She really can be very hurtful. It is true. But figure it out. Figure out a way. Do not just ditch her in her greatest time of need. She is not going to change. But I can change. I can be more compassionate and caring. She is a hurting 91 year old child. And they are willing to abandon her.

And also my brother who died sort of had my back a little bit. The remaining people refuse to hear anything that is wrong. So I am in a pretty dangerous position with no family help at all. No one to turn to when it is needed. No one in real life. It is dangerous to be alive. The remaining brother is a powerful attorney but he is a rage-aholic. And it would be foolish of me to tell him the truth about how things are with me. He would get very angry about my circumstances. And would be estranged. As would my mother. So I am on my own now. Trying to emotionally protect my mother. And the only family member willing to do it.

Thank you for reading this. I am sorry it is so long.

Your brother is not dealing well with the death perhaps and he himself cannot handle anymore pain hun so he has walked away to protect himself .

He perhaps also does not know how to show compassion or understanding he just does not have those traits in him perhaps

Being there to listen to your mother is all you can do really so she knows she is not alone

You also have to look after YOU ok try not to take on your mothers pain as well as yours i hope that makes sense

You see more clearly your mothers pain because you have felt that pain she is feeling you can empathize where your brother cannot

I am so sorry for your loss i know each of grieve in a different way we do so perhaps when the pain has lessen some the anger will also lessen as well

sunflower

Said the Sunflower to the forgetmenot: Thank you SO much for answering. Your words have a lot of wisdom in them. My surviving brother is naturally agressive, abusive and intolerent. I think that without the other brother to calm him down, and with his wife encouraging estrangement, he made this choice. I am pretty scared of how hurtful and cutting he is. Emotionally very dangerous. And the opposite of gentle, kind and caring.

You are right. I have to not take on her pain. That is so important. And yes I can empathize. But as you know too well, empathizing can be so unhealthy for those of us who take on others pain when we empathize. Even though it is helpful for the other person. It can cause so much pain for the self. I think my brother's anger has never been less. I think this is how he was born. I think it is who he is. And then also his wounding.

I am hoping my brother's widow will begin to get a tiny bit of relief because she was supposed to get a little kitten today. A "ragdoll" breed. A little baby feline nephew that lives clear across the country. So I cannot even kiss it :(

While my brother was in hospital with the most leathal form of lymphoma, his wife had to have the cat put to sleep because the cat got lympoma. I think animals absorb imbalance of their loved ones because they are natural healers. Anyway, my brother was undiagnosed for a long time. I think the cat energetically picked up what was going on and got the same illness. horriffic for them both to lose their beloved cat during that time.

Again. Thank you so so much for answering. I think you know it means a lot to me to come here and read it. :flowers:

I too hope the kitten brings her some peace I too think that animals do have a connection to their carers and that they do know when there is illness
You keep yourself safe ok don't get caught up in the cruel dynamics that are going on between your mother and brother you keep a safe distance away fro m it all
Look out for your mom the best you can but do not sacrifice yourself She knows you love her hun even if she cannot show it back she knows you care and that in itself will bring her some peace

sunflower

Thank you for answering so many times on this post. I really appreciate it. I appreciate how caring and giving you are. Mother is so abusive. And so is brother. It is very hard. They both are SO intelligent and strong in terms of will and intensity. And abiity to destroy me.

Last i heard, new kitten is very very naughty. Doing things a little kitty just does not do. I think kitty is trying to shake up her world. I think kitty knows just what he is doing. Going to keep her busy with his naughiness until further notice. I did not know kitties chewed wires. I also did not know that little kittens can knock big things off of counters. So hats off to this very clever kitten. My sister in law is very smart and careful. I am sure she has figured out the wire thing. She understands about safety etc. the important thing is that I think he knows just what he is doing.

She doesnt hear animals or anything. But she told me that kitty told her that he is going to try to help her. But he cannot make any promises that he will succeed. I would guess that she heard correctly. I would love to meet this little 10 week old terror <3 Thank you again for responding. It really means a lot to me. :flowers:

OH what a little terror. and yes kittens love to chew on everything and climb and knock over things they sure do keep one busy. I am just glad she has something to hold and to bring her comfort when she she so sad Don't let them destroy you sunflower ok you back away as much as you can You are too gentle a soul hugs

You know what, Sunflower, if your mom is being abusive you don't have to feel obligated to support her.

If she has always been this way, you especially do not have to look after her. Only reason I say this is my therapist told me the same thing. Circumstances and events do not give people the excuse to abuse another person. And usually abusive types don't even need an excuse to abuse someone: rather, they either feel entitled to it, or just do it because that is the way they are made.

It's very difficult to hug a cactus when all it does is accept what you give it and give you pain in return. You may have to distance yourself, too, or at least restrict your time with her. You can even say, "Mother I want to comfort you, but I deserve to be comforted, too." And if she doesn't stop abusing you or draining you or making you feel worse than you already do, "Mother if you don't have anything nice to say, I don't want to hear it. So if you don't stop, I will leave and find the comfort I deserve from someone/somewhere else. Maybe I will come back when you are ready to treat me the way I am willing to treat you. It's not much to ask."

If she's anything like most people who are self-centered/absorbed she will think all the attention during this time should be upon her, and that she is suffering more than anyone else, and that somehow this loss entitles her to treat everyone like dirt. This is not true.

And if she's anything like the mother I have (whom neither I nor one of my brothers have spoken to in years to protect ourselves and family): Even if the bible says to respect your mother and father, it does expect the parents to love their children. In fact, God would not want one human being to mistreat another, and then try to use Him or twist the bible meaning into trying to guilt a child to stay and take the abuse. So just in case you or anyone else out there is getting the guilt laid on them and the words of the bible twisted to try to keep you in their dysfunction:

Abuse: Bibleinfo.com
Abuse | Bibleinfo.com

What does the Bible say about child abuse?
What does the Bible say about child abuse?
EXCERPT:
"Psychological and emotional abuse is also forbidden in Scripture. Ephesians 6:4 warns fathers not to “exasperate” or provoke their children, but to bring them up in the “training and instruction of the Lord.” Harsh, unloving discipline alienates children’s minds from their parents and renders their instructions and corrections useless. In addition, it often leads to sin against God, as it is difficult in the best of children to be angry and yet not sin. Parents can provoke and exasperate their children by placing unreasonable requirements on them, belittling them, or constantly finding fault, thereby producing wounds that are far worse than any physical beating can inflict. Colossians 3:21 tells us not to “embitter” our children so they will not become discouraged. Ephesians 4:15-19 says we are to speak the truth in love and use our words to build others up, not allow rotten or destructive words to pour from our lips, especially toward the tender hearts and minds of children."

Does the Bible say anything about child abuse?
Does the Bible say anything about child abuse?
EXCERPT:
"Matthew 18:1-6 and Mark 9:42 explain the consequences for leading a child to disobedience: "it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea." As horrible as physical child abuse can be, there is nothing worse than pushing a child away from a relationship with Jesus. Spiritual abuse, often disguised as verbal and emotional abuse, is misrepresenting God, and it is the worst type of abuse possible."

Narcissists Suck (My Note: a parent doesn't have to be Narcissistic to be abusive or self-absorbed, but it helps)...
The Christian and the Fifth Commandment-Part One
Narcissists Suck: The Christian and the Fifth Commandment-Part One

The Christian and the Fifth Commandment-Part Two
Narcissists Suck: The Christian and the Fifth Commandment-Part Two

"From Such Turn Away"
Narcissists Suck: "From Such Turn Away"

I know you love your mother despite her inability to care for you as you would have wanted her to I know it hurts YOU when there is no peace within your family I understand that i do hun Your mother is old now and you know that she cannot change she just cannot so for now just support her when YOU can ok but always remember hun you are IMPORTANT and you to need care Your brother is hurting and his way to protect himself is to pull away from the one that has hurt him and even though she is old hun he does not see her fragility no he sees only pain
Hugs to you sunflowers

sunflower

You know what, Sunflower, if your mom is being abusive you don't have to feel obligated to support her.

If she has always been this way, you especially do not have to look after her. Only reason I say this is my therapist told me the same thing. Circumstances and events do not give people the excuse to abuse another person. And usually abusive types don't even need an excuse to abuse someone: rather, they either feel entitled to it, or just do it because that is the way they are made.

It's very difficult to hug a cactus when all it does is accept what you give it and give you pain in return. You may have to distance yourself, too, or at least restrict your time with her. You can even say, "Mother I want to comfort you, but I deserve to be comforted, too."
Thanks. I am so sorry your mom is that way also. So very sorry, Mine is such a narcissist that she would take great exception to my words as you suggested. I have to not only limit my time with her but I cannot be alone with her. Thats when she does the most harm. BUT she really doesnt want to talk with me on the phone. And I live 250 miles away. So its not so bad. I just feel sorry for her. Want to take care of her. But she honestly is toxic much of the time. I try to act from my heart regarding her. But sometimes that is not so easy. Thanks again :flowers:

I know you love your mother despite her inability to care for you as you would have wanted her to I know it hurts YOU when there is no peace within your family I understand that i do hun Your mother is old now and you know that she cannot change she just cannot so for now just support her when YOU can ok but always remember hun you are IMPORTANT and you to need care Your brother is hurting and his way to protect himself is to pull away from the one that has hurt him and even though she is old hun he does not see her fragility no he sees only pain
Hugs to you sunflowers
Thanks. You too are correct. Brother is so wounded. He knows to do what he does. And his wounding causes him to be cruel. Cruel mother. And more cruel brother. And there I am. I take care of myself best I can. I just miss the only gentle balanced family member. He was balanced and kind and not so self absorbed. I know you understand. Thank you !! :flowers:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.