More threads by usul

usul

hi there,

anyone has already heard about Dr Brendan Stack method? there are several vids on youtube like this one:

i think it is impressive...

i crawled across the web but was able to find only one paper on the subject : www.tmjstack.com/casereport.pdf :acrobat:

Usul

PS : As i am not able to post url links, i have twisted a bit the rule... Admin : please remove if not suited

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired

I am not familiar with this procedure nor any commentary on the subject. To gain some perspective, I will submit this information to authorities on Tourette Syndrome, whose opinions I respect, and will report back on their comments.

Retired

I consulted the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada, which is respected internationally as a credible and edicated source of information and support for Tourette. Here is their comment:

1. (Some medical journals have more acceptance and credibility among the medical community than others), so people shouldn't take that
just because something was published in a journal that it is to be considered published work in the greater context.

2. It would seem that this is more about sales than science given the very aggressive marketing being done.

3. The onus is still on Dr. Stack to do a proper study. Of course like everything else with TS, it may work well in some and not in others, but we won’t know that until a proper study is done.

So, the TSFC's public position would be that this treatment, like so many others, are of great interest and that until the appropriate scientific study has been done, the TSFC would be irresponsible in promoting this and other therapies to its stakeholders.

Source: Rosie Wartecker Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada

phoebe22

friend with Tourette's recently fitted with a similar device and the improvement is outstanding. i don't know if this is always or even often the case, but it's made a huge difference in his life.

Retired

As has been stated, this procedure may work for some, but in order to be correctly evaluated, the medical community requires a strict and properly conducted clinical trial, which is then published in a universally accepted peer reviewd journal so the results can be replicated and benefits vs risks be evaluated.

Until that is done, all we have is anecdotal reports which cannot be relied upon, particularly with a disorder such as Tourette, which is subject to many variations in presentation and its effect on quality of life.

phoebe22

As has been stated, this procedure may work for some, but in order to be correctly evaluated, the medical community requires a strict and properly conducted clinical trial, which is then published in a universally accepted peer reviewd journal so the results can be replicated and benefits vs risks be evaluated.

Until that is done, all we have is anecdotal reports which cannot be relied upon, particularly with a disorder such as Tourette, which is subject to many variations in presentation and its effect on quality of life.

no argument from me; just mentioning. i'm sorry if i was out of line.

:(

Andy

MVP
no argument from me; just mentioning. i'm sorry if i was out of line.

:(

You weren't "out of line" at all Phoebe. I think Steve was just suggesting that although it may work for one person there has not been a clinical trial done that can state that this works for a large percentage of people. Your friend is very lucky to have found something that works for him. :)

I am not speaking for Steve of course, that's just what I got from his post.

Retired

Phoebe,

Sorry if my response sounded harsh, which was not my intention at all and I certainly was not meaning to trivialize your friend's success. People with Tourette are so often victimized by quack treatments and claims because sometimes it is so difficult to treat some of the symptoms with conventional medicine. When scientifically unproven treatments come along, those of us who are Tourette awareness advocates tend to be defensive, until evidence of efficacy can be shown.

It would be interesting to hear from your friend, if s/he might be willing to share their experience with us herer on Psychlinks.

Please accept my apology for sounding grumpy, Phoebe.

phoebe22

People with Tourette are so often victimized by quack treatments and claims because sometimes it is so difficult to treat some of the symptoms with conventional medicine. When scientifically unproven treatments come along, those of us who are Tourette awareness advocates tend to be defensive, until evidence of efficacy can be shown.

It would be interesting to hear from your friend, if s/he might be willing to share their experience with us herer on Psychlinks.

Please accept my apology for sounding grumpy, Phoebe.

No worries; just glad to know I didn't overstep.

As someone who's often urged to invest in the latest "magic bullet" for an incurable health condition, I'm very much in favour of proving a treatment with hard science as opposed to testimonials (etc).

I don't think my friend would want to discuss his experience at this point; it's early days yet, and he's not talking about it much. The only reason I heard about it is because I mentioned noticing improvement. I'll run it by him next time I see him (we're not close; basically just chew the fat awhile when we bump into each other), however.

:coffee:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.