More threads by shanarino

shanarino

Hello all. My name is Shannon. I live in Las Vegas, am 26 years old and almost 6 months pregnant. I have become pretty severely depressed during theis pregnancy and was wondering if there are any other women out there who have had this problem. I am currently taking 7.5 mgs of zyprexa a day and I dont think its doing much but am feeling so down I am scared to stop taking it for fear I will have a breakdown or something. ANybody else out there going through this? Thanks

HA

Welcome Shannon!

I have not experienced depression during my pregnancies but hopefully you will meet others who have and can share their experiences with you. Are you under the care of a psychiatrist? Have you spoke with the doctor about feeling like the meds are not doing much good and that you're feeling so down?

shanarino

Yes, I have talked to my dr. and he upped the dosage from 5 mgs/daily. I see him again on the 5th and we will discuss it again. I just dont know what is hormones and what is treatable. I have a really hard time with the thought of being this way another 3 or 4 months! I refuse to believe that I have to live with these feelings just because Im pregnant. Its getting hard to eat again and I want to sleep cuz I cant stand my own thoughts. My mind races with fear and anxiety.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sometimes it takes time to see the benefits of these medications, Shannon.

You indicate that "it's getting hard to eat again". Do you have an eating disorder? or are you experiencing nausea or loss of appetite?

Now, more than ever, as I'm sure you know, healthy eating is essential. In the section on Alternative Medicine in this forum, you will find some articles on omega-3 essential fatty acids, which are present in foods like fish, whole grains, etc., and which are helpful supplements for mood disorders as well as being generally helpful for your heart and other organs and systems. I would recommend you read them.

HA

Shannon,

Here are some helpful suggestions for women experiencing depression in pregnancy. Along with professional treatment, there are several other things that you can do to help yourself feel better.

Support -
It is not uncommon during pregnancy to feel fatigued, whether or not one is depressed. It is very important that you get support for yourself and communicate your needs to others. Ask for help with housekeeping, preparing meals and other daily tasks. Don't feel you have to do it all yourself.

Exercise -
The benefits of exercise in depression are well documented. Be sure to discuss any changes you make in your exercise routine with your health care provider. Exercise helps treat depression by releasing the body's mood-elevating compounds, reducing the depression hormone cortisol, providing perspective on life, providing a feeling of accomplishment, enhancing self-esteem, and increasing levels of serotonin (a neurotransmitter found to be key in the development of depression). It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do something physical for 20 to 30 minutes three times a week or more. Even exercising as little as 10 minutes a day has been found to have beneficial effects. Walking is perhaps the most accessible form of exercise because it costs nothing and you can start it immediately.

Stress Management -
Depression can also be made worse by stress. Pregnancy and the anticipated changes that come with the new baby add new stresses to a woman's life. Learning to deal more effectively with stress may reduce depression. The first step is to identify the main sources of stress in your life and find the most effective way to cope with those (such as avoiding them or using relaxation techniques). Identify stressors that you are putting on yourself (trying to be "perfect", doing too much). Set priorities and let unnecessary tasks wait.

Avoid Stress -
Address any additional stressors that may be present in your life. Risk factors for depression during pregnancy can be single marital status, poor health, drinking during pregnancy, marital conflict, limited social support, and a greater number of other children are. If one or more of these conditions are present in your life, be sure to address them with your health care provider.

Promote sleep -
Adequate sleep is important to promote a healthy pregnancy and prevent worsening of depression. Sleep is sometimes disrupted during pregnancy due to changing hormone levels and physical discomfort, especially as the baby grows bigger. Try different sleeping positions and bedtime "props" such as body pillows or extra pillows. Take care to keep your sleep cycle regular by going to bed and waking around the same time. Develop relaxing bedtime rituals such as reading or a warm bath. Take time to rest during bedtime hours, even if you aren't asleep.

Dietary changes -
Eating a well balanced diet and regularly scheduled meals is important. Be sure to follow the recommendations of your obstetrician or nurse midwife regarding additional caloric intake and dietary supplements such as vitamins, even if you don't feel hungry. Decreasing refined sugar, caffeine, and chocolate may help symptoms. Use of calcium, and B vitamins (B6) may also benefit symptoms. Of course, avoidance of alcohol during pregnancy is essential.

Spend time with others -
Depressed women often withdraw from others because they mistakenly feel they would not be good company. Being with others is another way to gain perspective, which helps with the symptoms of depression. Consider joining a support group for pregnant mothers or even a support group for others experiencing problems with depression.

Make time to do what you enjoy -
Depressed women sometimes temporarily lose the ability to enjoy themselves. Avoiding enjoyable activities only makes this worse. Continue doing pleasurable activities even if you don't feel like it. You will soon find that you have come to enjoy yourself again, at least for short periods.

Give yourself a break -
The initial demands on a new mother are exciting and tremendous. Feeling better takes time. You will feel like yourself again and better able to handle the everyday pressures as well as the demands of pregnancy and motherhood. Be realistic about the demands and expectations you make on yourself.

Source http://www.med.umich.edu/depression/pregnancy.htm

shanarino

Thanks guys! I appreciate your input! I have never had an eating disorder, but I have felt that way recently. I just have trouble eating when I feel down! I have done sooo much to help myself here and thats where my frustration comes from! I exercise almost every day on a stationary bike as well as a real bike and I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I have a great husband that helps with lots of things. I dont have any other children that I have to deal with. I sleep enough(sometimes a little too much), and I just recently went back to work to give myself "something to do". That seems to help the most. This is why I dont understand why this is happening to me! I just am not getting any enjoyment out of things and I used to be the type of person who could feel good all day just because the sun is shining!!! I feel these anxieties well up as well. Will I be a good mother? Will I start smoking cigs again after the baby comes? Am I ready? I know these are normal but spending all day worrying that things are absolutely horrible for no GOOD reason is just not like me!
Thanks again for listening!! Shannon

HA

Shannon,

Well, you are doing much better than I at the self care. I still have not got the exercise put in place.

Maybe a support group for pregnant moms would help with your anxieties about motherhood.

Try eating your favorite things.....banana splits, shrimp, steaks, scallops, salmon steaks, dill pickles with icecream....hmmm, makes me hungry :~}. Talk to your pharmacist about the best multivitamin for pregnant women.

shanarino

Thanks for the info about the omega 3 fatty acids. I went and bought a liquid supplement, and Ive been taking it for a few days, so we will see what happens! I guess hopefully, you'll never hear from me again! lol

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.