More threads by braveheart

braveheart

I've been searching for an analogy about why I need anxiety included, seriously included in my medical diagnosis...

Last night one came...

Its like this...

Say I had a broken leg, and my ankle was aching from supporting this boken leg.
Say I went to a doctor, and all they paid attention to was the aching ankle.

The broken leg is my PTSD anxiety.
The aching ankle is the concomitant Depression.

I hope that makes it clearer....

Re: its like this...

Braveheart, I just wanted to say that I hear you and in some ways I think I understand or at least can relate to what you're saying.

Re: its like this...

braveheart do you feel that they are not treating the anxiety but just the depression? maybe you can take this analogy back to your therapist and your family doctor?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think I'm getting confused again, braveheart, about what you have been given as a diagnosis.

However, if the diagnosis is PTSD, one would normally expect anxiety and probably depression to be part of the symptom picture.

braveheart

thank you.....

my diagnosis, by local NHS consultant psychiatrist is Recurrent Depressive Disorder.

in his letter to my GP he just spoke of depression, made no mention of anxiety at all.
even though he knows I suffer frequent panic attacks (in the form of dissociative flashbacks, mainly, to when I was bullied.)
even though I approcahed him with the 2 main troublesome symptoms being, at that point a year ago, insomnia and anxiety.
he prescribed me remeron, and gave a plan for withdrawing from efexor whilst on remeron.

the insomnia was easily stopped with the remeron.
but the anxiety continues unabated.
I'm simply getting better at handling and containing it.

even though he prescribed me propranolol (a beta blocker) to help cope with the panic attacks.

he still has not included any form of anxiety in my diagnosis.

even though verbally he told me I suffered from depression, anxiety and panic attacks because of things that happened to me in my past.
SPOT ON CHUM! THEN WHY NOT PUT IT DOWN OFFICIALLY!!!!!??????
(It would make my life a lot easier, for work, where I come under the DDA for my illness, but naturally have to say what I'm suffering from.

ok, now I CAN say anxiety and depression (maybe even severe anxiety, as anyone who's ever suffered from hypervigilance knows, very few places can feel safe....)
but if I have to have a letter from my GP for any reason...
it could look like I was lying when I say anxiety is my main issue.

even though anyone that even looks at me could easily see that I suffer from anxiety.

in tracking my feelings over the 5 week therapy break, I have noticed I have been anxious and wary every single day, but felt depressed on only a handful or so of days.

it makes me feel very unheard.

my psychotherapist, on the other hand, who isn't a big fan of labels (and neither am I, I'd just like it to be the correct one, you know....) has diagnosed me with PTSD, and of course depression. but she knows how deep my anxiety is. how much I have to cope with each day.

I've mentioned this whole issue to her, but it was my first session back this morning, and there were/are naturally other priorities. Maybe she can write a letter to my GP and explain.
I'll definitely explain to my GP when I see her again next week.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.