More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
Can someone live their entire lives without exhibiting any real symptoms of schizophrenia or Bipolar disorder (to the outside world at least) only to be diagnosed with one of these in their 40s?

Would those closest to them not see any particular patterns that would be markers or indicators of the illness?

The diagnosis was made following an attempted suicide recently.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Question on detection and diagnosis of schizophrenia later in life

Can someone live their entire lives without exhibiting any real symptoms of schizophrenia or Bipolar disorder (to the outside world at least) only to be diagnosed with one of these in their 40s?

The short answer is yes.

Would those closest to them not see any particular patterns that would be markers or indicators of the illness?

The diagnosis was made following an attempted suicide recently.

That's possible, especially if you don't know what to look for or if you are very close to that person. In reality, there are usually signs in the behavior or personality of the individual but (1) the individual may have gone to great lengths to hide symptoms from others, or (2) those close to the person may have interpreted the signs as mere eccentricity or idiosyncrasies.

Lana

I don't think it's uncommon to be diagnosed in 30's - 40's. My depression never surfaced until after my 30's and even then, I didn't think I had an issue with it and it was only at insistence of my family physician that I consulted with a psychiatrist.

Which leads me to the second question. There are several reasons why people close to you can't identify an illness. One is that not everyone is aware of symptoms of the disease. Second, they're all too close to the situation...meaning, they do not see it as abnormal behavior..but rather, accept it as the "norm" for the person in question. Third, they could be suffering from the same ailments which will only support their "this is normal" thinking. The list goes on.

Consider this...there are reasons why a therapist cannot treat his or her friend or relative...the list is similar to the one I just mentioned. When you are exposed to the same thing day in and day out, it is easy to fall into "this is normal" thinking...when it's not.

I'm sure others will have more to add, and I hope this helps a bit. :)

Jazzey

Account Closed

Thanks you Dr. Baxter and Lana and yes, it helps. :)

amastie

I know that I cannot add anything to what David and Lana have said. I just think of how people, especially who have lived close together, grow into each other's pattern of behaviour, whatever that is, so that we take for granted whichever way the other acts out - until something *totally* out of the blue happens, then our brain goes into overtime questioning why didn't we see it. We can only see what we see and we can't see everything.
:hug:

Jazzey

Account Closed

Thank you Amastie and as usual, well said. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.