More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Diet: Bigger Breakfast, Bigger Daily Calorie Count
By NICHOLAS BAKALAR, New York Times
January 28, 2011

Dieters are sometimes told to have a substantial breakfast, because it reduces the amount of food consumed during rest of the day. Not so, a new study reports.

German researchers studied the food intake of 280 obese adults and 100 of normal weight. The subjects kept records of everything they ate over two weeks, and were carefully instructed about the importance of writing down what they ate as soon as they ate it.

For both groups, a large breakfast simply added to the number of daily calories they consumed. Whether they ate a large breakfast, a small one or none at all, their nonbreakfast calorie intake remained the same.

The study, published in Nutrition Journal, found that the foods most often responsible for the variations in daily calories were among the morning?s favorites: bread, eggs, yogurt, cheese, sausages, marmalade and butter.

This may mean that exactly the opposite of the commonly offered advice is correct: A smaller breakfast means fewer daily calories consumed, not more.

?Whenever someone comes to me for dietary advice and says, ?I never eat breakfast,? I say, ?Keep doing what you?re doing,? ? said the senior author, Dr. Volker Schusdziarra, a professor of internal medicine at the Technical University of Munich. ?Eating breakfast is just added calories. You?ll never compensate for them at subsequent meals.?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
As usual, there is now a new study that says exactly the opposite :)

New study finds having dessert for breakfast can help you lose weight
February 13, 2012

A new study out of Tel Aviv University found that eating dessert for breakfast can actually help you lose weight and keep it off.

The researchers took 193 obese adults, and put them into two groups.

The first group ate a low-carb 300 calorie breakfast, and the second had a 600 calorie breakfast high in protein, carbohydrates, and dessert.

The scientists tracked both groups for 32 weeks, and found all of the participants lost weight initially, but the group eating the higher calorie breakfasts with dessert kept losing weight.

The dessert group lost an average of 40 pounds more than the other group.

The researchers concluded part of the difference was that the body's metabolism is more active in the morning, and the group that had smaller breakfasts felt less full, and ended up cheating at other times during the day.

You know, sometimes I think I am genuinely weird! People talking about not eating breakfast? I could never do that. If you are ever hungry aren't you hungry for breakfast?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.