More threads by sweetsoleil

Im confused and maybe someone can shed some light on this for me to help me understand

If a person has a dissociative disorder, would it be connected with PTSD? I feel like flashbacks with anxiety would be what causes a dissociative state and don't understand how they wouldnt go together?

I was diagnosed with DID,( most likely NOS after those letters, although I was referred to Toronto for further evaluation and couldn't make the trip.) If I had PTSD as a part of my diagnoses I could continue going to Whitby Shores mental health but they don't have any counselling services for dissociative disorders. I feel a bit lost as to where to turn for help and wonder what causes dissociation if the main problem isnt post traumatic stress . Perhaps the type of therapy I need is different than those receiving therapy for PTSD?

any thoughts on this would be very helpful and appreciated

Hope everyone is having a good day today :)

I just re read this and hope it makes sense as to what im actually asking, my thoughts get a head of my slow typing and then I tend to leave things out, even though its takes me an hour to actually get this much written im sorry

GDPR

GDPR
I don't know,but it seems like if you were diagnosed with DID you would surely have PTSD also.

thanks for your thoughts on it lost in thought,,, i don't know a lot about disorders etc but i just wonder if someone can just have a dissociative disorder..but then it leaves to me think "why" and what causes it to happen so im just trying to make sense out of it

i don't feel there is much out there in terms of support for dissociative disorders but maybe im not looking in the right places

i don't like saying my diagnosis because i think of movies and shows that have had people with multiple personalities in them and that's NOT at all what my life has been like. Most of my symptoms are to do with memory which is what started the whole assessment to be done a year ago

i have never shared that diagnoses with anyone before and im not sure how to feel about sharing it here, it makes me really nervous for some reason

anyway thanks again for your thoughts :)

CAMH in Toronto will have treatment groups for many anxiety issues as well as PTSD dissociative issues as well as Hospital in Guelph Homewood.

I think also to have a dissociative disorder there must have been some trauma but i don't know for sure

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
sweetsoleil, was your diagnosis DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder)? or Dissociative Disorder NOS? There are some rather important differences...

And who provided this diagnosis? A psychiatrist? A psychologist? or some other person?

thank you forgetmenot for that info. I have a hard time going to appointments (I have agoraphobia) but have been working really hard to get a further distance from my house without issues. Right now Toronto is too far and too big and loud for me but maybe in the future I can get there. If I could figure out how to control my dissociative problems better id at least try but right now it feels too big

Dr Baxter..i was diagnosed by a psychiatristat @Whitby shores mental health hospital after what was supposed to be a 4 hour assessment turned into a 10 month assessment

On my assessment is says in his opinion I suffer from DID (with a few other disorders such as panic etc) but he also wrote that he would like another psychiatrist in Toronto at mount sinia (not sure if that is spelled right) to help him decide if it is a diagnosis of DID or DIDNOS...to me it didn't make a difference what they call it...but if you are saying its different counselling for both then it helps me understand why it would matter

my daughter has diabetes type 1 and goes to the Charles h best clinic for her follow up appointments,,, I was having trouble remembering appointments and remembering what happened during appointments,...someone from that team of doctors (a regular therapist) met with me several times and somehow I ended up at Whitby shores being assessed. he also had given a note to my family doctor stating his concern for DID and PTSD

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.