More threads by Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

I recently came upon sites for "Maladaptive Daydreaming". I have been doing this since I was a kid. I had no idea there was a term for it and that other people had it.

Any thoughts?

charlene

This started when I was a child, right up to about the age of 45. It was worse when life seemed uncontrollably bad, with no solutions. Once the problems solved themselves over the attrition of time, the maladaptive daydreaming stopped-for the most part. Nowadays it is just like an hour at a time, perhaps once a week, when before it was 1-2 hours a day, mostly during long car commutes, and right before sleeping or waking up. I believed the daydreaming acted as a release valve-channeled off excessive anxiety and suicidal ideation into a creative (I thought) solution to suicide. Great. Just another aspect of being bipolar...

I think daydreaming is an escape from the stresses at hand It is a way to just avoid what is in front of a person perhaps boredom or stressful situation but daydreaming
is just a coping skill one uses to escape from where they are my thoughts anyways

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.